Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justtwobad Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Employer denies obligation to pay OT
    I am a non salaried hourly employee in a customer service position. From advice of the Colorado Dept of Labor, I would qualify for overtime. According to the CDL description any time worked by a qualified individual during a work week. Work Week being Sunday to Saturday. In excess of 40 hour is due overtime pay.

When I was hired a year ago, I inquired about overtime and was told 'we don't do overtime here'

Recently I began to wonder about the OT issue. Called the CDL and was told yes I should receive it.

I asked my employer about it, and was told 'because our payroll ends on the 15th and the end of the month, we just don't qualify.'

I now know this to be wrong and have been tracking all of my hours from hire date. I am hesitant to push the issue for fear of losing my job.

I am currently seeking a position elsewhere, do you think that if I wait until I have relocated to make a claim with the state, I will no longer be eligible for the back pay?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 04:03 PM
    I think you should stick by your guns and just go for what they owe you now. As you say, you are leaving anyway. Why should they get away with not paying your overtime? How many hours do they owe you ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 04:20 PM
    Turn them into the Labor board
    justtwobad Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Thank you for your reply.

Currently I have received straight pay for 75.5 hours of time over 40 hours.

I just don't want my work environment to be ugly before I leave. Also, I have an exemplary record and am afraid of retalliation when looking for the new job.
    Hence the reason I was going to make the claim at resignation.

What do you think?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 02:14 AM
    Keep the peace, leave when you have to and then turn them over to the labour board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hosed By Employer- Please Help [ 3 Answers ]

This is my first post. Please excuse any errors. I am in Central Illinois I have been in the plumbing and heating wholesale supply business all my life ( approx 30 years) I had an opportunity to work for a manufacture's representative who had very good lines, quit my job and went to work for...

Broken lease obligation [ 2 Answers ]

An apartment I lived in 7 years ago has just contacted me to say that I owe $2000, or so, for breaking a lease. I don't believe I would owe that much and wonder if I am even obligated to pay them. They are being VERY harassing.

Roommate obligation [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughter is living in Seattle in an apartment that she shares with another woman. They had a one year lease, which ran out in September of last year.They decided to stay in the apartment together, while on a month to month lease plan with the landlord. The problem is...

Employer in VA. Work in MA. Live in NH. Whom I should pay taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I work as a contractor in MA on behalf of my employer who is based in VA. I live in NH. I receive pay check from VA based company for the work performed at their client's office in MA. I live in NH. To which state(s) I should pay taxes to?

View more questions Search