Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2013, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuttyd View Post
    I wasn't accusing you of doing anything deliberately wrong. My attack was on a journalistic style that seems to have become popular with certain sections of the media.

An example of this type of journalism might come in the form of a live coverage of some crime in progress or a crime that has just been committed.

A scenario might be that the police have in a custody a person of Latin American appearance. While not linking this to actual events the commentators talk about illegal immigration in general. While not linking this to actual events taking place they might talk about countries in Latin America having radical left or right wing governments that might be seeking revenge. While not linking this to actual events they might talk about radical religions.

All they are doing is having a political conversation in general. It just so happens that a lot of controversial words were used in isolation to the events. It just so happens that these words appeared in close proximity to the actual events

Furthermore, they would claim that if people make certain links and jump to conclusions when it comes to these words, then it not their problem.

In the end news organizations are not doing anything wrong. After all, no one expects journalists exercise responsibility in these matters..
    Ok, and I like to think you are a fair guy. But like I said this is a discussion forum with limited space for us to post so abbreviated quotes are a necessity, so I'd think as a fair guy you'd be more concerned with a fellow member accusing me wrongly than you would be with journalistic styles.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2013, 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What WILL you believe?
    So far the fact are leading me to believe that the 0 administration is plagued with the same lack of communication between intelligence agencies that preceded 9-11-01 .
    It was revealed yesterday that the CIA wanted Tamarin Tsarnaev placed on the no fly list .
    Russian officials contacted the FBI in March 2011, then reached out to the CIA in September 2011, citing concerns he might have been associating with extremists.Because he was a permanent resident of the U.S. the CIA alerted the FBI, DHS etc "specifying that Tamerlan may be of interest to them" .
    Janet Napolitano said U.S. authorities were aware when he traveled to Russia in January 2012, because the system "pinged" when his name was entered in flight data. Yet 6 months later when he returned ,there was no follow up interview by any of the agencies.
    What is not known is what he did for 6 months overseas . You say he lounged around like a lazy bum. I think he was there for other reasons . What we do know is that less than a year after his trip ,he was blowing up innocent people in Boston . His radicalism was evident to EVERYONE who associated with him . And yet , there was no investigation of him even though there were multiple warnings .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2013, 03:56 AM
    Tom not everyone who goes to these places goes for terrorism, I went to Pakistan immediately after Bhutto's death, make something out of it
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2013, 04:15 AM
    Were you on terror lists from 2 intelligence agencies ?were the Russians calling and warning about you ?
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2013, 01:58 PM
    The left that continues to enlighten us on the possible reasons except the obvious one that these guys had to bomb people. The folks who brought you it's our fault, it's Bush's fault and brain damage from boxing now give you the real reason... rap music.

Isn't that somehow linking the black community to the bombing?
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2013, 02:33 PM
    Depends... was it Emminem videos ?
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2013, 02:42 PM
    Don't know, but he did quote him on Twitter the day after the dirty deed.
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Apr 25, 2013, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    The left that continues to enlighten us on the possible reasons except the obvious one that these guys had to bomb people. The folks who brought you it's our fault, it's Bush's fault and brain damage from boxing now give you the real reason...rap music.

Isn't that somehow linking the black community to the bombing?
    Not really, but I would imagine that by selective quoting and juxtaposing paragraphs you could imply that is the case.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2013, 06:56 PM
    The New York Times thinks the Boston bombers "self-radicalized" on the Web. But it didn't look at their mosque, which has churned out other terrorists, too.

USA Today, on the other hand, did look at their mosque — the Islamic Society of Boston — and found "a curriculum that radicalizes people," according to a local source quoted in the paper's investigation. "Other people have been radicalized there."

In fact, several ISB members and leaders have been convicted or suspected of terrorism, including:

• Abdurahman Alamoudi, the mosque's founder and first president, who in 2004 was sentenced to 23 years in federal prison for plotting terrorism as al-Qaida's top fundraiser in America.

• Aafia Siddiqui, an MIT scientist-turned-al-Qaida agent, who in 2010 was sentenced to 86 years in prison for planning a New York chemical attack.

• Tarek Mehanna, who in 2012 was sentenced to 17 years for plotting to use automatic weapons to murder shoppers in a suburban Boston mall.

• Ahmad Abousamra, an ex-mosque official's son, who fled the country after the FBI charged him with conspiring with Mehanna to kill Americans.

• Yusuf al-Qaradawi, a mosque trustee and Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood leader banned from the U.S. after issuing a fatwa that OK'd killing U.S. soldiers.

• Jamal Badawi, a former ISB trustee who in 2007 was named an unindicted co-conspirator in a plan to funnel $12 million to Palestinian suicide bombers.

In justifying mall attacks, the FBI said Abousamra stated "civilians were not innocent because they paid taxes to support the government and because they were kaffir (non-Muslims)."

The Tsarnaev brothers, who killed three and injured some 200 spectators, appeared to share that rationale.

In 2009, ISB invited Yasir Qadhi to speak, even though the Saudi radical advocates turning the U.S. into an Islamic state and calls Christians "filthy" polytheists whose "life holds no value in the state of jihad."

The Tsarnaev brothers, who began radicalizing in 2009, posted YouTube videos featuring imams exhorting the death of Christians and Jews and calling for the establishment of the caliphate.

ISB leaders have defended its rotten apples, including Siddiqui and Mehanna, despite overwhelming evidence against them.

USA Today reports the mosque gets millions from the Saudis, who push an anti-Western strain of Islam. And it's run by the Muslim American Society, which the FBI believes is the main U.S. front for the Muslim Brotherhood, which created Hamas and al-Qaida.

In its propaganda, MAS routinely claims America is at war with Islam. The younger Tsarnaev brother cited this myth as a reason for attacking innocents.

President Obama vows to finally crack down on terrorists. Perhaps he should focus on the spiritual factories radicalizing them.
    Were Boston Bombers Self-Radicalized? No, They Got Help From Mosque - Investors.com
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2013, 07:31 PM
    Katherine Russell Tsarnaeva, the wife of Tamerlan Tsarnaev is being looked at by investigators as a possible accomplice.

Dzokhar Tsarnaev supposedly told investigarors that she called her husband after the FBI released photos and videos of the Tsarnaev brothers. She gave them the heads up that the FBI was looking for them. According the his statement she wasn't surprised her husband was involved ,or upset about it. That call was what prompted them to attempt their escape.
    She claims she knew nothing of their plans . But she also did not call the FBI and let them know who they were looking for. Instead ,she called to warn her husband. That call may cost her .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 07:36 PM
    Boston bombing: US Muslims react with fear, frustration, and new resolve - CSMonitor.com

Still, the Muslim community appears to understand the need to confront radicalism within its ranks.

“Radicalism is a problem because even if it recruits one person, that's one person too many,” says Mr. Al-Marayati of the Muslim Public Affairs Council. “Some 0.1 percent of radicals are relevant to American society, whereas 99.9 percent of Muslims remain irrelevant. We have to change that equation.”

In fact, according to a Muslim American Public Opinion Survey, religious Muslims are actually less likely to engage in anti-American extremism, and “mosques and religiosity are associated with high levels of civic engagement and support for the American political system.”
    I guess it's the Muslims turn to be denigrated as a people in a country that has a history of doing it.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2013, 04:11 AM
    Oh boo hoo. It's perfectly fine to denigrate Christians with impunity. Our target is narrow and specific, radical Islamists that want to kill us and destroy our way of life.

Are you in denial that radical Islamists want to kill us and destroy our way of life? If you doubt that I can't help you, the evidence could not be more clear. If you recognize that why tiptoe around it, confront it for what it is.
    Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 05:33 AM
    I don't attach a religion to the loony criminals out there. They are all a danger to the peace and safety of the honest law abiding citizen. Radical Islamics are as much a cult to the larger body as white supremacists are to Christianity. Bad humans are just bad humans and killers are the worst. Who cares what bible they read, or the country they are from, or the methods they use?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2013, 05:39 AM
    Tal, entire countries live under Islamic law. People are stoned in public, heads and hands are cut off, women are OPPRESSED beyond belief. How can you NOT attach religion to it?? Seriously?
    Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 06:16 AM
    Yes many countries are as you describe, and I don't abide by it, but many are not as backward. Why ignore the better examples of Islam which are the majority for the few bad apples? I wouldn't do that to Christians or any other religion.

Have Christians forgot where they came from? As many of you have evolved and put your sordid past behind you, so shall others, and many have already. Or you don't mind the term Christian Radicals. The ones who blew up churches and hanged people. The ones to this day engage in bad behavior fueled by hate.

Are you defending the fool who shot up a mosque of Sikhs?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2013, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Yes many countries are as you describe, and I don't abide by it, but many are not as backward. Why ignore the better examples of Islam which are the majority for the few bad apples? I wouldn't do that to Christians or any other religion.

Have Christians forgot where they came from? As many of you have evolved and put your sordid past behind you, so shall others, and many have already. Or you don't mind the term Christian Radicals. The ones who blew up churches and hanged people. The ones to this day engage in bad behavior fueled by hate.

Are you defending the fool who shot up a mosque of Sikhs?
    You're the same guy who post after post railed on us for imposing our beliefs on you. You're the same guy that brought up pedophiles and baby killers in the church. Now you have the audacity to ask, "Why ignore the better examples of Islam which are the majority for the few bad apples?"

Unbelievable. One can only conclude you're in denial or afraid of offending Muslims. I understand though, it takes no courage to bad mouth Christians who will do you no harm.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2013, 06:31 AM
    If the entire mosque was radicalized I think that was justification enough for some surveillance . Certainly if not the mosque ,then Tamerlan Tsarnaev should've been subject to some warrentless wiretapping... that were codified under the 2008 FISA Amendments Act, by the Democrat led Congress .
    Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 06:56 AM
    Terror Watch List Counter: A Million Plus | American Civil Liberties Union

In September 2007, the Inspector General of the Justice Department reported that the Terrorist Screening Center (the FBI-administered organization that consolidates terrorist watch list information in the United States) had over 700,000 names in its database as of April 2007 - and that the list was growing by an average of over 20,000 records per month.1 (See also this new March 2008 report.2 )
    We can't keep up with the millions of real criminals buying a gun, yet you expect a million people to be watched? Soft targets to be guarded? Why buy a gun when its easier to buy bomb material?

Cheaper too!
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2013, 07:59 AM
    BS they dropped the ball on the guy. They got specific warnings from the Russians ,multiple times . His name popped up from the data base ,so DHS knew he was travelling . Millions of people are NOT travelling over seas to a den of jihadism, and spending half a year before returning to the US .So that narrows the list considerably .
    The warrentless wiretapping was tailor made for someone like him .For one thing ;there would be NO question today if he was in communication with outside jihadists . We would know if there was outside funding sources . For another it is likely that he communicated with his brother over the phone about the plot.
    As I noted ,he attended a radicalize Mosque . You mean to tell me that when the FBI interviewed him before he travelled that they did not know that ? And why not ?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2013, 04:34 PM
    Now we learn the mom was on the terrorist database too. Jeeze ,we let anyone in this country !
    http://news.yahoo.com/boston-bombing...p%3D5629%22%7D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hitmen in boston [ 1 Answers ]

Gangster movie set in boston where two brothers are hitmen in boston

Boston wills? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My cousin just passed away- he was a resident of Boston, Mass and I live in Atlanta, GA. I am pretty sure he had some money tucked away, and that he left some of it to me as I was one of his closest relitives. Right now my mom has the most control. She said that she lost power of...

Boston Terriers [ 1 Answers ]

I hate to give an answer that may not be much help, but I must tell you how glad I am that you are giving a rescue dog a second chance. I hope you are working with a good rescue that will be sure to make a successful placement. Maybe your rescue would be the best place to find out about a good...

View more questions Search