Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tabylyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 01:51 PM
    My 8 year old hits and yells at my 5 yrear old
    I need help I am very upset I don't know how to handle that my children fight constantly I have tried putting them in different rooms keeping the with me in every room I am in but they still fight my 8 year old doesn't know how to control her feelings and when she is mad at my 5 year old she hits him I am scared that she is going to hurt him please help
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Mar 21, 2007, 03:19 PM
    WELCOME to parenthood! Speaking to your child at eye level state that you are not happy that she would hit her brother. The her that she hurts you when she does it. Time out is always good, or take away her favorite thing. Stick to it and set a time.
    Let her know you are doing it because she hit her brother and that is wrong. She is 8 so she is in school. Speak to your girls teacher. I there a patern there?. might she been getting bullied at school?

If not the case could just be rivary. Brother and sister's always fight. Seems nomral, it's the hitting another person that is the problem.

When my boys were smaller (2-5) and one would hit the other, I would hold the hitter and have the one who was hit.. hit them the same way. Most parents or so called "therapist" will tell you that is not healthy but they learned they did not want to be hit either.

Now my boys are just verbal. They call each other names.

Good luck to you...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Well make her stop, tell her, and an occasional swat on the rear seems to make them understand thing a lot faster.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Mar 22, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Children this age have a hard time expressing anger with words, and often resort to fists because that is an easy and clear way to let someone know they are ticking you off. All you can do is punish the behavior if it happens when you aren't in the room, but if you are there, you can usually see it escalating or can tell that this is a situation that could easily become violent for your child. In that case, approach the child. Speak calmly (he isn't going to learn better behavior if you lose your cool). Ask him to tell you how he feels, why he feels that way, and what ideas he has about how to fix the problem. It sounds stupid, but if used properly it will train him to develop a thinking process to deal with anger. Obviously a situation is resolved with thought, not force. Just my opinion. Good Luck!
    helpwithlove123 Posts: 24, Reputation: 5

Jan 5, 2012, 08:29 PM
    Its just a sibling thing, they will eventually grow out of it. My brother and sister used to do that at that age too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My daughter hits me [ 9 Answers ]

Hello! I have a 14 year old daughter that is on Zoloft for her anger issues. I have seen a big improvement but there are times she gets so angry with me, she hits or bites me. During this time, she is very disrespectful, angry, mouthy, etc. After her "fit" she is always sorry and says she...

Is it legal for a 25 year old and a 16 year old to date in pa [ 59 Answers ]

:confused:is it legal for a 25 year old and a 16 year old to date in pa and if not why

A girl falls down a hill, hits her head and is transported. [ 2 Answers ]

Aaahhhhh!! Its driving me crazy! My husband and I both remember watching a movie when we were young where a girl works in a Walmart-type department store, she is driving home in a jeep or something and falls out, rolls down a hill and is transported into another land. Possibly it was a dream but we...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

View more questions Search