Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StanfordGoal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2013, 06:49 AM
    How to get a scholarship overseas
    Hi, I'm hoping to get into Stanford University sometime in the future. I want to get a scholarship as I am not in Calorfonia. How do I get one? Do I have to get above a mark to get one? Maybe 90% and above for all O level subjects? Please help! I'm still not ready to go, but I'll be taking my exam in a few years so I better plan and ask around first. Thanks people!
    Sincerely, Me.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 19, 2013, 07:04 AM
    Have you looked at the Stanford website and seen what they offer for scholarships?
    Stanford is not part of the California public university system, so being a resident doesn't mean lower tuition.
    You could ask for a catalog.
    You could talk to your guidance counselor. You don't say what country you are in or what grade. Many scholarships are not connected to a particular school, and your guidance department should have information on ones that might apply to you.
    As for grades... the higher the better, or course. Stanford is a very good school. It's also in a beautiful small town, and hence housing is extremely expensive.

Apr 26, 2013, 10:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Have you looked at the Stanford website and seen what they offer for scholarships?
    Stanford is not part of the California public university system, so being a resident doesn't mean lower tuition.
    You could ask for a catalog.
    You could talk to your guidance counselor. You don't say what country you are in or what grade. Many scholarships are not connected to a particular school, and your guidance department should have information on ones that might apply to you.
    As for grades... the higher the better, or course. Stanford is a very good school. It's also in a beautiful small town, and hence housing is extremely expensive.
    TQ! Is it hard to get a full scholarship then? That includes room, board, food and tution? If the students are from far away, do they provide us with place to stay at the Uni or we have to find our own place? BTW, how did you know these stuff? Experinced?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 10:31 PM
    Very few people get a full ride scholarship to Stanford. You have to be a straight A student and participate in several clubs and groups in school. Also, if you get one, they will provide room and board for you only. Not your family.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StanfordGoal View Post
    TQ! Is it hard to get a full scholarship then? That includes room, board, food and tution? If the students are from far away, do they provide us with place to stay at the Uni or we have to find our own place? BTW, how did you know these stuff? Experinced?
    There are various college guides that you can buy on Amazon or your library might have. Less than one in ten who apply are admitted. One of the guides says --

Admissions evaluation: "rigor of secondary education record", class rank, GPA, standardized test scores, application essay, recommendations, extracurricular activities, talents and abilities, and character.

We will consider: first generation college student, alumni relation, geographical residence, racial/ethnic status, work experience, and volunteer work.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 10:36 PM
    It is extremely rare to get a full scholarship, You will have to have perfect high school grades, not even a minus, and as Scott said, show that you are active in many after school activities,
    There is student housing, normally on campus you share with 2 or more other students a room. Plus it is not easy to even get admitted to the school. Have you or your parents discussed and talked to someone from the university on the requirements.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 27, 2013, 02:58 AM
    You don't seem to have done any research on your own in the last week. That makes me wonder how eager you are to do what has to be done to get into Stanford.

We also still don't know where you live, given that O levels are used in several countries. It sounds like you think it's all about levels, when American schools want much more. The quote from Wondergirl about region means that they like to be geographically diverse, so that will be a good factor for you.

It does little good to ask about full scholarships now, since you say you are a few years away, and no one knows what your family financial situation is now or will be when you apply, or how much money Stanford will have then to give away. This is why students who need aid should apply to several schools.

Many US schools require that freshmen live in the dorms. Again, this is all research you can do, starting with their website (which I have a feeling you still haven't looked at). I don't think we should do it for you. I worry about you expecting all this to be too easy. It will be a lot of work.

Jun 14, 2013, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You don't seem to have done any research on your own in the last week. That makes me wonder how eager you are to do what has to be done to get into Stanford.

We also still don't know where you live, given that O levels are used in several countries. It sounds like you think it's all about levels, when American schools want much more. The quote from Wondergirl about region means that they like to be geographically diverse, so that will be a good factor for you.

It does little good to ask about full scholarships now, since you say you are a few years away, and no one knows what your family financial situation is now or will be when you apply, or how much money Stanford will have then to give away. This is why students who need aid should apply to several schools.

Many US schools require that freshmen live in the dorms. Again, this is all research you can do, starting with their website (which I have a feeling you still haven't looked at). I don't think we should do it for you. I worry about you expecting all this to be too easy. It will be a lot of work.
    Well, in fact I have already checked out the website before I even posted the first message. As my mom used to say:" Don't assume" Well, thanks for your help anyway. I don't expect it to be easy either. But as I said, I'm still a few years away so I should just focus on studies now and some other extra-curriculum. I am eager to do what has to be done to get there, but again, I'm a few years away. One step at a time. There's no need for rush, is there? Well, thanks again for your help. I should certainly take some of your advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage overseas [ 0 Answers ]

I'm looking to get married while stationed in germany right now but the other person lives back home in the states. I need to know if there is a way to get married to each other while apart.

Reporting scholarship and taxes paid on scholarship [ 1 Answers ]

My wife was on F-1 in Spring 2010 (graduating semester) pursuing PhD and she received $8,100 as fellowship/scholarship. And, $1,300 was deducted as NRA tax. She paid around $1,000 as tuition fees for that semester. She has not received a W-2 and no 1098-T was given as she was a non-resident alien....

What is US tax liability on overseas property sales when proceeds are kept overseas? [ 1 Answers ]

Tax liability on overseas property sales when proceeds are kept overseas.

Are Overseas Scholarship Given Special Exemptions? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen. I am currently receiving a scholarship from Saudi Arabia to attend a university in Saudi Arabia. Some of the scholarship funds are not spent on qualified expenses. Do these funds receive any special exemption since they come from overseas? Does it matter that I am overseas?

View more questions Search