Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sleepingless Posts: 32, Reputation: -5

Apr 19, 2013, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    The OP called them the night before, when they were closed....their policy probably states 24 hours minimum as I am sure they are like other install companies that send out sub-contractors....but then, you already know all this.
    True very true but where is the service they propose to exact like I said an expense to drive there and maybe only maybe a time payment but a full service call for being told I no longer need you. Nonsense
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2013, 11:54 AM
    Really... you believe that? You actually think the CEO of every company involved in any lawsuit spends their days in court of every little suit they deal with? No they don't they send someone else to represent the company.

There was a legal contract... the customer failed to properly provide notice to cancel in the prescribed time frame... the Company wins this slam dunk.

Apr 19, 2013, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    THey will win a case against someone using your tactics...and not only that..they will get a Judgement..and a writ of garnishment to go after your accounts to satisfy the debt...which by this time will inlude late fees.., interest...and legal fees....and be far higher than the oriiginal bill.....and they can collect this debt many, many years from now.....and for what?
    The OP can pay at the stand the same amount the OP will pay now, No legal fees are allowed in small claims they are not allowed to produce a lawyer nor any lawyer doctrine, they cannot increase or attach interest to the bill the whole amount is set in stone the minute the case is brought before the local county attorney.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2013, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepingless View Post
    The OP can pay at the stand the exact same amount the OP will pay now, No legal fees are allowed in small claims they are not allowed to produce a lawyer nor any lawyer doctrine, they cannot increase or attach interest to the bill the whole amount is set in stone the minute the case is brought before the local county attorney.
    Really... care to quote legal precident to back that claim up... because they are ALWAYS responsible for late fees and interest due on a debt they failed to pay... they will never see a bill as low as the one that has not yet become deliquent.

Collections companies around the world make their living off those additional charges.

Apr 19, 2013, 12:08 PM
    Really...you believe that? You actually think the CEO of every company involved in any lawsuit spends their days in court of every little suit they deal with? No they don't they send someone else to represent the company.

There was a legal contract...the customer failed to properly provide notice to cancel in the prescribed time frame.....the Company wins this slam dunk.
    First of all a CEO is a company rep they would have to be a board member to be considered for ownership and then a judge can strike that because all board members are not present thus full ownership is not available. Lawsuit? This is a small claims matter no lawyers, no representatives are allowed in small claims court period. I have already said the OP will lose but the OP will exact a level of return payment on the free money if and only if the company shows up to get it.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2013, 12:11 PM
    First of all a CEO is a company rep they would have to be a board member to be considered for ownership and then a judge can strike that because all board members are not present thus full ownership is not available. Lawsuit? this is a small claims matter no lawyers, no representatives are allowed in small claims court period. I have already said the OP will lose but the OP will exact a level of return payment on the free money if and only if the company shows up to get it.
    Where did you attend law school? How much experience do you have in court... what is the legal precident to what you are claiming?

Apr 19, 2013, 12:15 PM
    Really...care to quote legal precident to back that claim up...because they are ALWAYS responsible for late fees and intrest due on a debt they failed to pay...they will never see a bill as low as the one that has not yet become deliquent.

Collections companies around the world make their living off those additional charges.
    You must understand there is no appeals there are no lawyers and this will be entirely based on civilian law (Common law) Legal precedence does not apply the whole of the judgement relies on the presiding judge. The bill however is the bill which is what the judgement precedes on.

Apr 19, 2013, 12:16 PM
    Where did you attend law school? How much experience do you have in court....what is the legal precident to what you are claiming?
    University of Kentucky

Apr 19, 2013, 12:20 PM
    Where did you attend law school? How much experience do you have in court....what is the legal precident to what you are claiming?
    The last time was 2003 as an expert, I don't represent I am to old, my function is findings and reference.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
    You must understand there is no appeals their are no lawyers and this will be entirely based on civilian law (Common law) Legal precedence does not apply the whole of the judgement relies on the presiding judge. The bill however is the bill which is what the judgement precedes on.
    You are wrong... about that... al lof it. Lawyers or councel not being allowed is not a universal truth for one.

If there is no penalty... why would anyone pay a bill ever... just fight them... if you lose there is no penalty... or extra charges?

Tell you what... are you going to pay the OP's debt if they follow your advice and lose.. and end up with a far larger bill?

You still haven't quoted any case law or legal precidents or codes.

Apr 19, 2013, 12:31 PM
    You are wrong.....about that......al lof it.

In fact Lawyers ARE allowed in some small claims courts....and all of the people sueing for upaid bills are entitled to late fees and intrest due....and you can appeal most of them.....it happens all the time.

If there is no penalty....why would anyone pay a bill ever....just fight them...if you lose there is no penalty.....or extra charges?
    Without a "mistake of law" no state in the US will allow you to appeal and if you do find one you will still lose I would bet my salary on this. If both parties agree to allow reps to present the case then yes lawyers can enter the fray. This is not the case for the OP as the person should know they will lose thus they would NOT agree to such a thing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2013, 12:52 PM
    First we take pride in the quality and accuracy of the advice we give here. Your advice has been neither quality nor accurate.

Small claims courts have different rules in different jurisdictions. But I've never seen a small claims court that required the company owner to show. And definitely not any level of civil court. You have no idea whether the company the OP is involved with is a corporation or what its structure. Many companies don't have "owners" they have shareholders. So right there, your advice is wrong.

While you are correct that once a suit is filed, the amount may be frozen, but that doesn't mean that the company can't add fees and costs to the amount they are suing for. So you are wrong there.

And whether the state AG has to open a file for the complaint or not, they still will not prosecute. So all that would happen here is the OP would likely incur additional costs, and have to spend time to appear in court.

Again, not only did you give bad advice, but you compounded it by trying to defend this advice with more inaccuracies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A. Joe has signed a contract to sell gadgets to the city. The contract provides that [ 12 Answers ]

Joe operates a business that locates and purchases specialized assets for clients, among other activities. Joe uses the accrual method of accounting but he doesn’t keep any significant inventories of the specialized assets that he sells. Joe reported the following financial information for his...

Bike made deposit and signed contract can seller get out of contract? [ 6 Answers ]

I Looked at a bike I saw on craigslist, liked it and made a deposit of 100 dollars after I agreed with the owner to pay the balance of over 3000 dollars if the bike passes inspection. I believe the bike passed inspection, although told otherwise by owner, he had re listed the bike on craigslist for...

The icici bank account held by my father and me jointly has been held. What to do [ 7 Answers ]

My father and I have a joint account in icici bank. All the money in the account is of my father. I had defaulted in icici credit card. The icici bank has held the account. What my father can do?

Upon death of a seller in a real estate contract, how to get a buyer out of contract [ 23 Answers ]

In the state of Missouri, a seller in the middle of a sales contract died. The closing time is not yet lapsed and all the contingencies on the buyer side is fulfilled. There is will in place and an executor named for the estate already. The son (named executor) can not legally sign for the deceased...

View more questions Search