Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsmith33576 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2013, 06:08 PM
    feet and ankles have been very swollen - need hospital?
    Am a 52 year old male, have had no significant illness or previous health issues.
    Long relationship (20 years) ended, am now jobless. Saw a doctor, told him I was anxious and depressed. Prescribed 150mg Wellbutrin 1x/day, 50mg Vistaril 2x/day. Have been on these meds for five days. Yesterday feet and ankles really swelled up, itchy too. I ceased med intake, but feet are still swollen. Will this go away on its own over a couple days? Is there something potentially dangerous about my swollen feet/ankle situation? Thank you!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 06:42 PM
    Did you tell your doctor what is going on? One thing you could have and can creep up on you at any time is gout. You need to let your doctor know and get treated for it.

Gout Symptoms, Diet, Pain, Treatment, Medications for Gouty Arthritis - MedicineNet
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Did you tell your doctor what is going on? One thing you could have and can creep up on you at any time is gout. You need to let your doctor know and get treated for it.

Gout Symptoms, Diet, Pain, Treatment, Medications for Gouty Arthritis - MedicineNet
    What makes you think it is gout?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 19, 2013, 03:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    What makes you think it is gout?
    Its possible it is as the person is of the right age and the symptoms are close. The OP needs to get checked out by a doctor.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 19, 2013, 03:58 AM
    Just call the doctor to say you stopped, and why.
    It's possible with any drug that you have an underlying condition that is adversely affected by the drug. I'd be more concerned with Vistaril than Wellbutrin. Heart disease/HBP, kidney, liver. I'd see a MD for a physical.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 19, 2013, 04:12 AM
    I would have to say the two of you should not make any determination here. It could be a few things really, not necessarily gout (I have gout and even at the onset did not have any symptoms as OP describes).Gout is caused by too much uric acid in the blood, joints swell and are painful, but not a whole foot or ankle and itchiness is not included. Just a lot of pain with no apparent location.

Remember we cannot diagnose on the internet, or comment on drug interactions as everyone has different reactions according to age and infirmities.

What is good for the gander is not necessarily good for the goose, so to speak.

However, I do strongly agree that the OP should see a doctor immediately regarding these symptoms.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 19, 2013, 04:28 AM
    Sure we can comment on drug interactions, and should, if the OP doesn't.
    I looked up each drug for side effects and contraindications, and I looked up both on an interactions chart.
    I forgot alcohol. You should not be consuming alcohol taking these drugs.
    jsmith33576 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2013, 07:54 AM
    Thank you all.

Symptoms have gone from "swelled up loaf of bread on a stick" to minor, 25% over what a normal ankle and foot should look like.

joypulv, what prompted you to focus on vistaril vs. wellbutrin?

By the way, I have been consuming approx 64 oz beer daily on these meds.
    Will cease that now. Good call.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Feet are swollen red [ 2 Answers ]

My feet are swollen red on the sides an blotchy all over burning sensation an sore to touchtoes feel numb

My father has swollen feet look like elephant feet [ 2 Answers ]

My father has swollen feet look like elephant feet and its peeling bad.. hard for him to catch his breath.. he has open bed sores and hallucination.. he refuses to go to the hospital.. what is going on with him and what can I do to so he can get medical attention

Edema/Swelling of Hands, Feet ankles... [ 0 Answers ]

I may need to go to the ER. I have HBP and recently it's been hot so my body is swelling up like crazy. It's 8:00 AM and I am where I was last night on the "swelling scale". I don't want it to get worse and I have to work on my feet for 8 hours today. Should I go to the ER?

Swollen Ankles after cruise [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just return from a 3 day cruise and I have swollen ankles... What can I do??

Swollen ankles [ 2 Answers ]

Why are my ankles and calfs so swollen

View more questions Search