Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbrill03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2013, 08:18 AM
    A 46.2-kg crate rests on a level floor at a shipping dock. The coefficients of static
    A 46.2-kg crate rests on a level floor at a shipping dock. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are 0.686 and 0.410, respectively. What horizontal pushing force is required to (a) just start the crate moving and (b) slide the crate across the dock at a constant speed?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 08:31 AM
    To get the box moving you have to overcome its static friction force, which is equal to the box's normal forceagainst the floor (i.e its weight in this case) times the coefficient of static friction. Then to keep it moving you have to overcome kinetic friction, which is equal to the box's normal force against the floor times the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

60 N of force is applied to a 10 kg crate initially at rest on a level floor. The coe [ 0 Answers ]

60 N of force is applied to a 10 kg crate initially at rest on a level floor. The coefficient of friction between the crate and the floor is 0.4. Draw a free body diagram illustrating this situation and find the distance traveled and the velocity of the crate after 3 seconds.

Can I move cold air returns to furnace at floor level from ceiling level [ 0 Answers ]

A poorly designed heating system in a room addition has left me with problems. The contractor simply ran uninsulated plastic,such as that used on dryers, into an unheated,un-insulated crawlspace causing the 3 heat vents to receive nothing but cold air. Recently I simply shut the heat vents to the...

How to install a closet flange so that it rests on the floor? [ 3 Answers ]

I think I may need to put shims down. My situation is that my wife had lineoleum installed in a portion of the house and the old toilet in one of the bathrooms had to go because I discovered it had a crack. The lineoleum was installed and the toilet removed by the installer. So when I came upon...

What is the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the incline? [ 1 Answers ]

A 248-kg crate rests on a surface that is inclined above the horizontal at an angle of 19.5°. A horizontal force (magnitude = 537 N and parallel to the ground, not the incline) is required to start the crate moving down the incline. What is the coefficient of static friction between the crate and...

Raising the level of a caste iron toilet flange to the level of the floor tile. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a similar problem as the person in a previous post. I installed one of those twist and sets PVC flanges right on top of my old caste iron flange but the top of the twist and set is still 3/8 inch below the tile. I am wary about using a double wax ring. Can I install one of those flange...

View more questions Search