Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sleepingless Posts: 32, Reputation: -5

Apr 17, 2013, 02:08 PM
    A set of 20 cards consists of 12 red cards and 8 black cards.
    A set of 20 cards consists of 12 red cards and 8 black cards. The cards are shuffled thoroughly and you choose one at random, observe its color, and replace it in the set. The cards are thoroughly reshuffled, and you again choose a card at random, observe its color, and replace it in the set. This is done a total of six times. Let X be the number of red cards observed in these six trials. The variance of X is

I know the correct answer! Can anyone show me how to do these types of problems?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 06:32 AM
    This situiation yields the binomial probability distribution because each trial has only two possible outcomes - in this case red or black. Let p = probability of choosing red for any one trial, and q = probability for choosing black (note that q = 1-p). If you do N trials the expected number of occurrences of red is , and the variance is .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability of getting an ace from 50 cards if 2 cards are randomly removed from 52 [ 6 Answers ]

From a pack of 52 cards 2 cards are randomly removed. Then what is the probability of getting an ace from remaining 50 cards?

Reading cards using playing cards [ 3 Answers ]

I was tought to read cards using a regular deck of playing cards but its been a few years... any ways if anyone also knows this method I only use 7's through Aces but can't remember what 4 Jacks connected means ! i.e.. 3 queens is a fight - 3 kings good news brings- 3 jacks is a friend travels...

What is the value of my Baseball cards set. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a TOPPS OFFICAIL 1989 COMPLETE SET, and I was wondering the value of it?

Vintage baseball cards; Set of 1986 baseball cards [ 2 Answers ]

Where do I go to find out about selling my baseball cards?

View more questions Search