Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    the giving tree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2013, 10:53 AM
    Am I liable for my son knowingly committing cheque fraud since I'm on the account?
    This account was started when my son was a child so I had signing rights on the account. I did not change it when my son was older. He is now 18 and out of my home. I was going to close the account but did not get to it in time. He has knowingly committed check fraud in this account. The bank says that I am liable if they are unable to get the money from him as my name is on the account. Even though they have the proof that he committed it on his own. Do I have any options?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2013, 11:07 AM
    Get a lawyer... but yes.. you are in effect a cosigner... and that makes you finacially liable. He is both criminally AND finacially liable. They can go after either or both of you to satisfy the money owed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2013, 03:21 PM
    You are a co-owner on the account, that makes you equally responsible for account activity. I'm not sure how you can conclusively prove your son acted on his own. If you want to stay out of jail make good and then close the account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are my ex husband and his mother committing SSI fraud? Can I sue the SSA? [ 5 Answers ]

I can't seem to get SSA to do anything about investigating, yet the information is all easily available and documented online. How much more €œin your face€ does a person need to be? He lives off his SSI (for ADHD or Bi Polor) while he runs a DJ business and gets paid under the table. I can't...

2 sisters committing serious immigration fraud. [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me what to do... I know 2 filipina sisters, both scammers, borrowed a large of amount from me to use for their processing of visas and getting important Philippine documents. I was told that I'll be paid as soon as they obtain work in US but unfortunately until now I wasn't able to...

Can my sis in law be committing fraud [ 3 Answers ]

I have a brother who married an illegal and has 2 kids with her o her home but ever since they got married she still goes and spends the weekends at her mom every weekend and some times weeks her mom picks he up and brings her around payda only and takes her back to her home now she is 31 yr old......

Fraud cheque [ 8 Answers ]

Just a month ago I was looking for job and iwas applying for job on online sites like jobbank, workopolis, monster. So one job I have applied they answered me with email that we are doing construction business in UK and we have customer in US and CANADA. I am living in CANADA. So you have to just...

Frozen account due to fraud cheque [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have just recently had my account frozen due to a fraudulent cheque. I was just wondering if money can still go into a frozen account, because my student loan is due and I'm afraid that it will go into my account and obviously I won't be able to access it:confused:

View more questions Search