Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaydeep89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2013, 08:09 AM
    Low frequency effect on transmission
    I want to know the low frequency effects on power transmission , about losses , power factor, and disturbances
    sleepingless Posts: 32, Reputation: -5

Apr 19, 2013, 02:21 PM
    I am assuming you are referring to vibrations.
    The overall effect is gear to gear vibrations are low frequency to begin with but there is no stasis the expanding vibrations tend to cause the gears to touch at differing points along the involute space. When a gear touches it is supposed to apply the full turning force along the entire length of the tooth when this does not happen it causes the gear to "bounce" back and forth literally applying equal force forward and backwards through this action. (Think of a quarter spinning down only one point touches and the coin wiggles to a stop while rotating) The bearing surface tolerance of the gears allow this "wiggle action" usually the wiggle is very small and happens when the transmission is not under load.
    As above the loss is equal to the power applied IE more power equals more loss (vibration) until the unit comes apart.
    To determine the power factor the unit must be under load which would cause vibrations to stop unless the bearing surface has degraded at which point the analysis is useless.
    The whole of the disturbances is the vibration.
    I hope this helps.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2013, 06:40 PM
    This is a homework question... the site rules for homework have been pointed out to you previously.

They post their answers FIRST... then we can critique them... we do NOT do their homework for them however. We help them after they did it.

The OP learns nothing if someone else does all the work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low frequency vibrating hum, on and off, on and off [ 2 Answers ]

A thread with this problem has been closed. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/mysterious-humming-noise-house-55517-11.html In case the problem is continuing with others, I want to report our experience. We live in central London, on the fifth floor of a modern reinforced concrete frame...

Low Frequency Humming/Vibration Sound [ 47 Answers ]

Hello. For the last several months my wife and I noticed a low frequency humming sound in our home. At first this sound was simply "white noise" and not very noticeable unless you really tried to focus on it. However in the last couple of months the sound has been much more noticeable,...

Have a constant low frequency hum in the house. Can't find the source. [ 11 Answers ]

I have also been going crazy with a low frequency hum in the house. I am a shift worker, so on days when I am sleeping during the day, the hum is just as bad as when I am trying to sleep at night, although when I am up I would swear that its worse at night. I have turned off everything in the...

Low frequency whistle from baseboard [ 8 Answers ]

I recently added radiant flooring under my kitchen. All I did was remove a hot water baseboard and added this in the same loop. It added 200 feet of pipe to zone 1. I used the vapor barrier pex tubing. Now not right away but two weeks later I had my furnace cleaned. A week after I started hearing...

View more questions Search