Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg offenhause Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2013, 07:47 AM
    08 Sportster
    Will not start, no fire to the plugs, fuses good. Could it be the coil? How can I confirm?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2013, 08:23 AM
    Did you check your kill switch on the handlbars?

Apr 17, 2013, 08:31 AM
    Yes, not the kill switch
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2013, 08:32 AM
    Getting power to the ignition coil?

Apr 17, 2013, 08:49 AM
    How do I check it?
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2013, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg offenhause View Post
    How do I check it?
    Voltmeter... the ignition modure will turn it off to create the spark... but it will or at least should have power the rest of the time. The coil relys on a collapsing magnetic field to generat the votage for the spark.

Apr 17, 2013, 09:11 AM
    Thanks for the help!

Apr 17, 2013, 10:52 AM
    Ok so with the key on I have 12vdc from the ignition module to the coil and approximately 5vdc on the output side of the coil but no voltage at the plug, also I have already changed plugs. Should be the coil right?
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2013, 11:05 AM
    You won't have voltage to the plugs with it sitting there.. if if you did and cranked it with a multimeter you would likely kill the multimeter.

It does sound most likely like the coil has failed.

Did some digging around, since its unlikely you have a spare coil laying around to test with.

Try this as well before running to the motorcycle shop to buy one.

1 Turn the key in the ignition to the "Off' position. Take the key out of the ignition.

2 Pull the spark plug wires off of the spark plugs and then disconnect them from the ignition coil

3 Disconnect the smaller primary wires from the ignition coil with the wrench.

4 Connect the red colored robe for the ohmmeter on the "Primary" wire lead on the ignition coil. This is the wire that is connected to the Points or the CDI. Connect the black colored probe to a metal ground, such as the frame.

5 Read the display on the ohmmeter. The normal reading should be between .5 to 1.5 ohms. If the reading is above this range the ignition coil needs to be replaced.

6 Connect the red colored probe to the secondary wire on the ignition coil. This is the wire that is running to the spark plug caps.

7 Read the display on the ohmmeter. The normal reading should be between 6,000 and 13,000 ohms. If the reading is below this range the ignition coil needs to be replaced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harley Sportster [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Harley 1200 xl sportster.Not fuel injected.The bike runs great at first,and then shuts down!I changed the coil,same thing!I pulled the first plug and it wasn't getting any fire to the plug.What should I try next?

74 sportster [ 0 Answers ]

Starter relay will the solonoid still work if the relay is bad

Ask questions about a 1968 sportster? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I just put a new fat boy carb on my 1968 sporster and now it spits oil from the bottom of the bike every time I try to start it plese help

Sportster speedometer [ 0 Answers ]

'05 Sportster 883 low... The spedo powers up and functions corretly when first firing up and running, but after it warms up to operating temp, the seed indicator (dial hand)will go to zero and at times will come back functioning as if nothing has happened. All lights, and indicators work during...

1998 sportster 1200 [ 1 Answers ]

My sportster was clicking so I took the battey out and charged it.when I put it back in it wouldn't do anything.the headlight works and the battery shows 12.66 volts.it won't start,not a sound.the horn and signals won't work and neither will the brake light.all worked before.please help.

View more questions Search