Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Apr 16, 2013, 06:57 PM
    Laptop Freezes or Sometimes Unexpectedly Shuts Off...
    My laptop has just started to act like it's full of Gremlins.. It's starting to freeze up or just shut down altogether.. I can hear the fan going a gazillion MPH but no response to clicking on an icon.. I've taken to unplugging all wires leading to it and completely disconnecting the battery pack.. Having done so usually remedies the situation, unfortunately this proceeder is becoming more frequent... The laptop is an Acer brand and has to be 6 / 7 yrs old... I had it completely cleaned out professionally about 5 yrs ago when it was passed onto me.. I do clean out the cookies & cach and defrag on a regular bases too... Any Ideas why the HicUps?? Thanks
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 07:26 PM
    Sounds like it may need a good cleaning. Im talking about the laptop itself. If vents are clogged with lint or debris from years of use then it can be overheating causing exactly what you describe.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2013, 02:20 PM
    You may also look into having it professionally done. They can re-paste the cooling hardware to operate more effectively. They can also remove dust from regions that cannot always be reached simply by blowing out the dust.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why my laptop freezes when on internet [ 2 Answers ]

My laptop freezes when I'm on the net, I have to literally remove my battery to switch it off. I swutched off my firewall for my laptop to run faster. I can't connect to my wireless as well and I wonder should I try ADD/REMOVE IE or check my adsl router... help please?

Laptop freezes on internet [ 6 Answers ]

I just got a new to me R40 Thinkpad 2.4G with 768mb. I purchased it used so the only thing on it is the normal Microsoft XP Pro software package. It has also Internet Explorer 7. Connection is DSL on a new Zoom ADSL X6 modem with a Linksys wireless card It totally freezes trying to get to some...

Internet freezes and shuts off, Unable to reconnect without restarting [ 10 Answers ]

Hey, it's my first time here and not sure now things are run so forgive me if I'm posting incorrectly. So my problem is shortly after I connect to my internet (Sympatico) it will freeze/lock and shut off. Even though it does that the little icon on the sidebar is stuck and I can't right cilck it...

Blower shuts off and freezes ac unit [ 3 Answers ]

My blower will shut off on it's own and then the ac unit freezes up. I try to turn the blower on in the manual on mode and it will not come on; after quite awhile it will come back on and then I have to wait for the ac unit to defrost. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search