Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boscoec690 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2013, 03:14 PM
    Personnel Files
    Can derrogatory and or disciplinary information be placed into my personnel file without my knowledge?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 03:25 PM
    Have you met with a supervisor or director and talked about the incident and then signed anything?

Apr 16, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Have you met with a supervisor or director and talked about the incident and then signed anything?
    No, I had no knowledge of this write up until I was told of it 10 months later when I inquired as to why I was not considered for promotion
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boscoec690 View Post
    No, i had no knowledge of this write up until i was told of it 10 months later when i inquired as to why i was not considered for promotion
    Do you know what it was for?

Apr 16, 2013, 03:31 PM
    No, I had no knowledge of this write up until I was told of it 10 months later when I inquired as to why I was not considered for promotion.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 03:33 PM
    No, i had no knowledge of this write up until i was told of it 10 months later when i inquired as to why i was not considered for promotion.
    I understand that. Do you know what incident you were written up for, and do you remember it?

Apr 16, 2013, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you know what it was for?
    Yes, I was not wearing my bulletproof vest on duty because I had been using the restroom. I was told that I should wear my vest when using the toilet and I did not have it on. I was unaware I needed to wear my vest when sitting on the toilet.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 03:39 PM
    Yes, i was not wearing my bulletproof vest on duty because i had been using the restroom. i was told that i should wear my vest when using the toilet and i did not have it on. i was unaware i needed to wear my vest when sitting on the toilet.
    Thank you. Is this written down in an employee manual you were given, that you should have known this (they think)?

In Illinois where I am, if there is a work incident/infraction, the employee is informed of it and can sign (or can choose not to sign) a statement that he agrees. Where are you and what are the laws/rules for this in your area?

Apr 16, 2013, 03:48 PM
    There is nothing written that states we must wear out bullet proof
    Vests while sitting on the toilet. We are in California and we did not sign anything stating we knew of this. Our Chief simply said that he pays for our breaks and that all equipment is required while on break. Again, there is nothing in reference to bathroom functions and it is nearly impossible to sit on a toilet with my gun belt and vest on.

In Illinois where I am, if there is a work incident/infraction, the employee is informed of it and can sign (or can choose not to sign) a statement that he agrees. Where are you and what are the laws/rules for this in your area?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 03:53 PM
    Apparently, if they feel they can write you up without your knowledge, they also think they had the right to add the infraction to your file.

We have several very sharp workplace/legal experts here, so please stay tuned, check back now and then, and look for their responses. I'll watch this thread and PM some of them to look at it, if necessary.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2013, 05:30 PM
    I can find no reference to any requirement that employees in CA are required to be notified of ANY entries into their personnel files. There is Labor Code Section 1198.5 that requires that employers make these files available for inspection. However Public Safety employees (which you may fall under, are exempt from that requirement).

Its been my experience that whether employees are informed about any write-ups is a matter of company policy rather than law. However, most employers want to develop employees so want them to know if there are items that need improvement.

I'm wondering what you want to happen here.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 07:43 PM
    There is nothing written that states we must wear out bullet proof
    vests while sitting on the toilet. we are in California and we did not sign anything stating we knew of this. Our Chief simply said that he pays for our breaks and that all equipment is required while on break. Again, there is nothing in reference to bathroom functions and it is nearly impossible to sit on a toilet with my gun belt and vest on.
    It sounds like you are in law enforcement here in CA. If so, have you checked with your union?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personnel Files -- who can see them? [ 4 Answers ]

Can an employee view his/her own file?

Can my employer ask everyone for a medical health screening for our personnel files? [ 2 Answers ]

We are being required to fill out heath screening questionnaires that ask very personal things like when and for what was our last doctors visit. And have we had hemorrhoids or stomach pain. They want to put this information in our employee file. Is this legal? What if I refuse?

After erase the files in cd=rw I copy some small files but cd is full for that files [ 1 Answers ]

after erase the files in cd=rw I copy some small files but cd is full for that files what is the problem here how can I solve that please help me

Employee access to their personnel files [ 9 Answers ]

Can an employer refuse or restrict access to an employee's personnel file? i.e.. Refuse copies of documents w/in that file.

Navy personnel search ? [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to locate an old friend who is in the Navy. I am not sure where he is located or stationed. Can anyone tell me if there is a website that can do a search of Navy personnel? Any help would be appreciated.

View more questions Search