Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ikibah Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2013, 06:07 AM
    Psychology
    Hi, I had to answer this question for class :

Rochelle is taking a test in which she is asked to come up with as many different ways as possible to make use of a straw. This is most likely a test of
    a) analytical thinking
    b) divergent thinking

The correct answer was a) analytical thinking, can somebody explain to me why it's analytical as opposed to divergent? I can't understand.

Thanks all I really appreciate all the help I get from you guys.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 16, 2013, 06:25 AM
    analytical - Adjective
    Relating to or using analysis or logical reasoning.

divergent-Adjective
    1. Tending to be different or develop in different directions: "divergent interpretations".
    2. (of a series) Increasing indefinitely as more of its terms are added.
    Ikibah Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2013, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    analytical - Adjective
    Relating to or using analysis or logical reasoning.

divergent-Adjective
    1. Tending to be different or develop in different directions: "divergent interpretations".
    2. (of a series) Increasing indefinitely as more of its terms are added.
    I know, but how come the answer is analytical?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 08:06 AM
    divergent = how can a straw which is a conduit for liquid be used in various ways? Divergent would be keeping in mind its primary function

analytical = what are the myriad ways I can use a straw? As a bridge in my ant farm, as a cat toy, as decoration on a birthday cake, to put under furniture legs so I can move the furniture, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psychology [ 6 Answers ]

I am going to college next fall, and I am thinking abou majoring in psychology. I am having trouble finding fields of work, and careers that go along with this major. Could anyone help me out?

Psychology [ 1 Answers ]

I need two or more schools of thought to compare and contrast lgbtip phobia and heterosexism within three contexts: Yourself, your community and uganda, africa?

Psychology [ 1 Answers ]

Alice expresses guilt that she may have caused Lauren's disorder, and is also concerned that it might occur again in future offspring. What would you advise her in terms of preventive actions, available testing, and reproduction options?

Psychology [ 4 Answers ]

What is the nature of consciousness? When not fully conscious, what behavious or mental activities (such as perception, learning) may occur unchanged? What activities occur but function differently? What activities cease?

Psychology [ 2 Answers ]

Why study psychology?

View more questions Search