Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emhorsechic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2013, 06:53 PM
    How to tell if a stray cat is pregnant or had kittens
    Hello. I live on a small farm with a few barns. We have a few cats that live there, all fixed except one male who is feral. We found a new stray that is extremely friendly, who has been living here for a few months. It is a female, probably about 3-5 years old. I know nothing about her except that she is an affectionate female tortiseshell. I'm not sure if she's pregnant or has had kittens. She got fat, and has continued to get fatter. Her stomach is almost hard, and not flabby or distended. She was up in one of the barns by the hay for a few weeks, and I found some indentations, a larger one, and 3 or 4 smaller indentations. Then, she started hanging up by the deck by the house. I'm not sure if she had the kittens and they died, or she moved them, or if she's even pregnant at all. What signs should I look for if she is pregnant? Or any behavior changes/patterns if she's pregnant or had the kittens? Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 07:00 PM
    Is she still fat? What do her nipples look like?
    emhorsechic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2013, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Is she still fat? What do her nipples look like?
    Yeah, she's still pretty fat. They're kind of pink, but not really distended or huge. I really can't tell much because she has like a thing about her stomach and doesn't really like people touching her stomach/abdomen.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emhorsechic View Post
    Yeah, she's still pretty fat. They're kind of pink, but not really distended or huge. I really can't tell much because she has like a thing about her stomach and doesn't really like people touching her stomach/abdomen.
    It doesn't sound like she is nursing kittens. If she disappears for a few weeks, she has had them (60-day pregnancy) and will bring them around to you when they are about four weeks old.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 29, 2013, 03:30 PM
    If she'll let you pet her sides, try to feel for movement or lumps. It doesn't sound like she's nursing, but she could be pregnant and trying to find a nesting spot.

If she is pregnant, she'll probably disappear for at least a few days, then reappear much skinnier. No matter how friendly she is, she'll probably keep her kittens well hidden, and you probably won't see them until they're old enough to wander out on their own (about three months). By that age, she should be weaning them, and it'll be safe to get her fixed, if that's what you're planning. Most vets will fix kittens once they reach about four months, but there are some who will fix them younger. The sooner she gets fixed, the less likely it is that she gets pregnant again.

Conversely, you can take her in to get fixed, and they'll do a spay abort if she is pregnant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stray cat,possibly pregnant or recently had kittens... how to tell?What to do? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, the last couple of weeks we've had visits from a stray calico kitty.We had been keeping out bag of dog food outside in the back and apparently she had been getting into it and eating it.We figured it was fine because it didn't really matter to us;we would just buy more dog food.She had always...

Has stray cat given birth ? What are signs a cat has just had kittens? [ 6 Answers ]

She's about 8 weeks along. A few days ago her belly was very hard, and she was very affectionate. Now her belly isn't as hard, and she's not affectionate at all. Also I haven't ever been able to feel movement in her belly. Is it possible she already had her babies? She really hasn't left our...

A stray cat just had kittens [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Im New Here, Im Pretty Sure That A Stray Cat That Come S On My Back Porch Has Just Had Kittens And I Was Wondering If The Kittens Start Following There Mom After A Sertain Period, Im Hopping That She Will Bring Them To My Back Porch When She Comes And Eats So I Can't Bring Them To A Shelter....

Stray cat- is she pregnant or did she have kittens already? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Four days ago I stumbed upon a small cat who appears to be pregnant. She is very sweet, skinny, and hungry. I fed her outside for about 3 days and just decided to bring her inside today. My concern is whether she has had kittens or is still pregnant. I couldn't find kittens anywhere, but...

View more questions Search