Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2013, 12:43 PM
    Account settlement
    I offered to settle an account with a merchant for half the money he thinks I owed. I explained my reasons and he agreed to settle the account in full. I have two questions: how can I be sure he did not leave any derogatory comments on my credit file before I make my payment ? Also, can he leave bad remarks on my credit file after he accepts to settle the account and I send my payment ? Can and should I ask for guarantees before I send any money ? Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 12:50 PM
    I would say you got a pretty good deal, only paying half of what you owe. Why worry about comments? Why irritate him to the point where he renegs and sues you for the full amount. I don't think he can leave bad remarks anyway.
    The Ghost Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2013, 09:27 AM
    You should always get an agreement in writing prior to sending any money to a collection agent. It should be on their company letterhead stating that they agree to completely remove the debt from all credit profiles in exchange for your settlement offer and the debt shall now be considered paid in full. Once you have letter in hand, then send them certified payment. Google "Pay for Delete" letters.

The Ghost

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is bank account a real type of account or personal account [ 2 Answers ]

Types of account are three types that is real account,nominal account and personal account.I need to know, is bank account a real account or personal nature. Please also need to know about type of accountprovision for bad debt and provision for taxation

Bank account seized. Received nationwide checks for claim (in account) can these be e [ 2 Answers ]

Small claims ct. seized bank account. Want to vacate nationwide claim checks for house repair from storm and vandalizim (can these be exempt funds?)

Auto Accident: Damage Settlement not Injury Settlement [ 13 Answers ]

Hello all and thank you in advance for your kind answers. My Girlfriend was involved in an accident in November. Here are some key points about the event. 1. Accident Fault - Fault was clearly the other driver Documented in the Police report. 2. Vehicle is currently financed - In both of...

View more questions Search