Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Mar 21, 2007, 10:37 AM
    What are the reasons I could be so irregular w/ period?
    I've read a lot of info, and none of which seem's to apply to me. I'm not that stressed, not that unhealthy, not athletic. I'm 21 and have had my peroid for at least 6-8 yr's. When I first had it it was irregular and all, but then it go to stable around the 31st day every month give or take a day or two. But within the last few year's it's been bouncing all over. Sure my grandpa died a yr ago, I have had family problems and I'm now sexually active for 2yrs. Now the last few yrs it's a week late sometimes or right on time. --Three or four month's ago I had a week and a half late period. It's was not the normal redish color I usually had. I clearly wasn't pregnant because the normal bleeding started after a day or two. Then the next month was normal. Then the following month it was VERY early at day 22! Which hasn't ever happened. Now, the month after that, yesterday I started the brownish bleedng again. But 2 weeks after day 31. When I normally for year's would get it. Right away I want to think I'm pregnant or ill. Now today my 2nd day of w/e you want to call it it's finally looking redish. So I'm just wondering what could be wrong. Maybe stress? I don't think I have that much. Maybe because of sex? We haven't done it in like a month and anyway I doubt it's because of that. Maybe something is wrong health wise. I mean why is it brown sometime's? All my life that's never happened. Til the last few month's. We think it's because it's week or two late that its just older blood. I'm sorry the long question, but wanted to make sure I gave as much info as possible to better the answer. Thank you so much for your answer's, I really try to take them into heart.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Hey R.F. I have read your postings with interest. I love to hear opinions from strong willed and well informed younger women.

It is always good to ask about this kind of stuff. Better to be safe than sorry. But frankly, I don't think you have anything to worry about. You will find that your cycle changes throughout your life. What you are going through is very normal. Very few people are like clockwork. Most go through what you are now starting to go through. Some months fine. Some months you will just spot. Sometimes it starts brownish and in a day or two you will be fully bleeding. The "normal cycle" is 28 days, as I am sure you are aware. So, the fact that you previously seemed to be like clockwork on the 31st is considered to be well within the normal range. Most of us are not that lucky and it usually shifts a bit with each month. Sometimes it is late, sometimes it is early. Stress can very well be a factor. Sometimes it is simply seasonal changes, believe it or not.

I have found for me that the brownish discharge early has to do with using tampons all the time. As much as I hate napkins and the mess, I try to use them if my flow is on the light side in a particular month, which thankfully, has finally started occurring for me. Your uterus needs to clean itself out. Tampons can kind of create a dam effect at times. So, the brownish discharge may very well be menses that stuck to the wall of the uterus left over from your previous month. Or it is just flowing much slower than usual and it has dried out a bit, thus the brownish effect.

The best thing you can do for yourself is write all of what you are experiencing and have experienced in a calendar or log. Then schedule a gynecological exam and speak to the doctor about it. At your age, you should be going for a pap smear every year now. I think you will find that the doctor will tell you that you are very normal.

And, just wait until you get older! My cycle has never been consistent, and with age, it has become worse. Some months it has been like Niagara Falls has parked itself!! Other times, it is just a little spotting. Then of course, like this month, nothing yet. Pre-menopausal. I have been going through this for at least 10 years now. Inconsistencies. I swear, when I finally make it through menopause, I will be throwing a party to celebrate the end of "the curse." :p
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Mine have always been pretty regular. But I know some people that do, but in all honesty, it could just be your body growing or it could stem from some sort of internal problem that you don't know you have.

When I was 17 I had an infected galbladder, and gal-stones which caused my galbaldder to swell 3 times the normal size. This happens commonly in middle aged or older people and they usually show since for like months sometimes even years before surgery is required.

I never knew ANYTHING was wrong until one night around midnight I felt sick, 6hours later I passed and I woke up for a few seconds in the ambulence, and then againe the hospital bed, with one less organ.

Lol

I spent new years eve in the hospital.

So something COULD (but hopefully isn't) wrong and you not think so because you don't feel any pain.

I suggest seeing a gyno just to be on the safe side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Irregular period [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My period is very irregular now I want baby. Could I get the baby?

Irregular period? [ 5 Answers ]

HI,I have been charting my period dates from March 2006.Do I have irregular periods? When will I possibly ovulate? Date Cycle Length 11-Mar 13-Apr 33 18-May 35 20-Jun 33 23-Jul 33 20-Aug 28

Irregular period [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me out I'm usually a very regular person with my cycles and this month it's been irregular on dec 25 I got what seemed like a regular period then on the 26 late night it is now pink instead of red and today on the 27th it's still pink and I have cramping is...

Irregular period [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I always had regular period but this month 17 days late. I never had intercourse but last month after my period on the 7 day me and my boyfriend played around his thing just touching mine but no sex. I took the pregancy test 3 time and they all came up negative. Once I took it at the...

Irregular Period... HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

Ok I've been having irregular periods for a year now and nothing seems to help. They put me on birth control and it made it worse. Last month was the first normal period I've had in like 12 months and it was the month after I went off the birth control but this month is completely different. I've...

View more questions Search