Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 17, 2013, 02:28 PM
    Are you positive you have a nvidia graphics card? What I looked up the specs for your machine it shows ATI Radeon HD 3200.

Here is where I got the info on it:

HP Pavilion tx2510us Entertainment Notebook PC | HP® Support
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2013, 02:31 PM
    cdad, if the HWID he posted is correct then he does have nVidia.

https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/d..._ids_jan13.txt

Device ID 0649
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 17, 2013, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    cdad, if the HWID he posted is correct then he does have nVidia.

https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/d..._ids_jan13.txt

Device ID 0649
    It appears entirely possible that somehow there is a mistake being made by the report. If that card exists in the system and won't take the drivers then the card is corrupt. Or the system is reporting off the driver and not the actual card. And in going to "safe mode" only vga drivers are going to load.

At this point. It would be worth a trip to the HP site to check out alternatives. The site I posted leads to the OEM drivers for that machine.

Nvidia could have been an option and its not listed but with this much going on something is throwing a false flag.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 17, 2013, 03:13 PM
    Also when you say "would not reset through recovery" did you mean windows recovery or the HP recovery partition on the hard drive?

To reach the recovery partition press F11 after turning it on and before the windows logo.
    HeatherP Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2013, 04:09 PM
    Is there a way for me to open up the laptop and find out if there is something wrong with the card? When I do a scan on the webpage for nvidia, it shows up with my card, it also shows up on safe mode.

And yes, I meant the recovery partition.

If replacing the graphics card might fix the issue, I would like to know where it is located in my laptop so I can do so.
    Attached Images

Internet Research Expert

Apr 17, 2013, 04:56 PM
    Have you tried opening the recovery partition and does it in fact contain information on it?

What happens when you push F11 at the start of your machine?

Apr 17, 2013, 05:31 PM
    When I double click, nothing shows up.

When I push F11 on start up it says at the bottom left "F11-system restore"
    But then starts up normally.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2013, 06:11 PM
    It is not likely that it could be replaced, most laptops have embedded graphics controllers meaning they are soldered right to the motherboard. Although it is possible to replace the components, it really is not feasible.

HeatherP did you try the steps from my last post?
    Ask Me Help Desk - View Single Post - HP laptop updates and graphics issues.

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT (M for mobile)
    Next Generation Performance Notebook PC - NVIDIA | GeForce
    Drivers | GeForce You could go here to use nVidia's auto-detect tool.

The HWID is derived directly from the hardware installed, not from the driver assigned to it. They don't lie.

Having more than one driver installed can make it difficult to install the proper one. It is important to uninstall the previous software associated with a driver before attempting to install the new one.

Apr 18, 2013, 12:39 PM
    I did what you said in the post, and the graphics card is now installed, and it is automatically detected now by the laptop when I turn it on. However now I'm having a new problem. If I try to go on a website like YouTube, anything with video on it, lines of color appear and it restarts.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 01:06 PM
    Try uninstalling flash. The when you go to YouTube it should direct you to install it and do a fresh install.
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2013, 03:37 PM
    Or go here:
    Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player

You may also want to install adobe reader and java.

Reader is for PDF files and java makes active content on the web work.
    Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions

Download Free Java Software

Beware of check boxes telling you to install additional software, it would be wise to un-check them.

Apr 18, 2013, 08:57 PM
    I installed adobe and the computer still crashes when I try to play a game or watch anything.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 19, 2013, 03:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherP View Post
    I installed adobe and the computer still crashes when i try to play a game or watch anything.
    Can you describe what your "crash" looks like? Is it freezing (locking up) or is it restarting or going blank and worst of all the bsod - Blue Screen of Death.

Apr 19, 2013, 02:29 PM
    It only blue screened a handful of times through everything I did to it.
    Normally the "crash" Would be a bunch of colorful lines through the entire screen in bunches, then a freeze, then restart saying it encountered a problem.
    It only went blank after full updates and it only did so on start up, It has not happened after log in.

What I mentioned above has happened after log in. Directly after, before I can even do anything to try to prevent it. It started up a couple times with Nvidia installed, but when I tried to play a game it crashed again, as mentioned above with colorful lines.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 19, 2013, 03:26 PM
    It only blue screened a handful of times through everything i did to it.
    Normally the "crash" Would be a bunch of colorful lines through the entire screen in bunches, then a freeze, then restart saying it encountered a problem.
    It only went blank after full updates and it only did so on start up, It has not happened after log in.

What i mentioned above has happened after log in. Directly after, before i can even do anything to try to prevent it. It started up a couple times with Nvidia installed, but when i tried to play a game it crashed again, as mentioned above with colorful lines.
    It sounds like your graphics card is messed up. If you go into windows does it stay on for long? Can you run nvidia diagnostics on it ?

Apr 19, 2013, 03:45 PM
    Without Nvidia it stays on with no problems until I try to play a game. With it installed it runs okay until I try to play a game or watch a movie or YouTube.

I can try diagnostics, is it on the website? How do I replace it if it is messed up? Is there a way for me to actually see the card itself?
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 19, 2013, 03:49 PM
    You should be able to right click on your main screen and a Nvidia menu should be one of the choices.

On some models you can replace it and as was pointed out some are hard soldered into place. You might check the manf website and see if it shows how to replace one if that option is available.

Apr 19, 2013, 03:59 PM
    Is there any links you can give me? If not I can go look it up. Thank you.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 19, 2013, 04:08 PM
    Is there any links you can give me? If not i can go look it up. Thank you.
    Link to a PDF file for your machine:

Ref'

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03182899.pdf
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2013, 08:27 AM
    There is a high probability that one of your RAM modules is blown. That will cause all of the symptoms that you described. This is not uncommon with ddr2 and ddr3.

On boot up there should be a diagnostics option (Press F9 I think), that may give you some hint to weather or not this is the case. If it is not that, it is most likely the video memory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop wifi issues [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my wifi is not working as in will not switch on on my laptop checked the device manager which states no conflicts and the device is working properly but when you try to switch it on the box appears which says wifi is currently switched off pleasese turn on using the button on the front of the...

My laptop always has a message for installing updates. Help. [ 1 Answers ]

My laptop (running Microsoft Windows Vista), always has an alert that it has updates that require installing. Even after clicking the button, and restarting, the alert will quickly return. Is the laptop not correctly installing updates, or are updates simply that often coming down the pipe? How...

Laptop keyboard issues [ 4 Answers ]

I have an HP dv6 laptop that all of a sudden started having keyboard issues. For some reason its only the bottom row of keys giving problems. Here the sequence of problems. z- triggers the caplock key & same in reverse x- working normally c- brings up the help/support menu(very odd), but works...

What is the equivalent of Intel HD Graphics 3000 to Nvidia and AMD graphics? [ 0 Answers ]

Technology, computer, laptop, graphics.

Laptop keyboard issues [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix my mac laptop keyboard? There are a few keys that when I use them, they work, but others work at the same time. When I hit: Previous, dashboard opens 7, 4 comes before U, are comes before J, f comes before M, v comes after Does anyone know how...

View more questions Search