Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    76295260 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2013, 11:24 AM
    Complicated Probability Problem
    Edit: This is NOT a homework question! It is a real life math problem. I have this exact situation coming up. I have not taken many math courses and don't know how to solve it. Please help!

There are 70 possible questions for a upcoming exam known in advance. I must solve the questions before the exam and memorise the solutions.

Of these 70 questions the professor will pick 12, of these 12, I will need to answer 8.

If I skip solving 4 questions pre-exam, it won't matter because I am allowed to skip 4 on the exam.

But if I skip solving 5 questions on the exam, what is the likelihood that all 5 of these will be included in the 12?

If I skip 6 what is the likelihood that at least 5 of these will be in the 12?

If I skip 10 what is the likelihood that at least 5 of these will be in the 12?

How many questions can I skip before it becomes relatively likely that I won't be able to answer 8 of 12?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2013, 11:35 AM
    Sorry, but AMHD has a posted policy of not doing homework.

Have you worked out a formula for this problem?

Apr 14, 2013, 11:36 AM
    This is not a homework question. I am a philosophy student and I have an upcoming exam with this exact situation. I am not good at math, I don't know anything about probability.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2013, 11:49 AM
    I had moved this thread to Homework, but then moved it back to Mathematics. Judy had nothing to do with that, so I have reported that post to remove the unfair reddie you gave her.

One of our math experts may come along to untangle all the probability situations for you. I see you have posted this elsewhere also.

Apr 14, 2013, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I moved this thread to Homework. Judy had nothing to do with that, so I have reported that post to remove the unfair reddie you gave her.

One of our math experts may come along to untangle all the probability situations for you. I see you have posted this elsewhere also.
    What is a reddie, what is unfair? Am I not allowed to post elsewhere? I am new to this website. How do I get someone who knows about math to answer my question?
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2013, 12:03 PM
    A reddie is a mark against my record of answering questions for giving you inaccurate or incorrect information.

We are all volunteers here. The way to get an answer is to wait for someone who can and is willing to answer your question to come along.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2013, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 76295260 View Post
    What is a reddie, what is unfair? Am I not allowed to post elsewhere? I am new to this website. How do I get someone who knows about math to answer my question?
    You gave Judy an "inaccurate," a reddie, but apparently were able to remove it. Yes, you can post anywhere on the 'Net. We are not a chat site, so please be patient. A math expert will eventually see this.

Why not study for all 70 questions and be totally safe?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Apr 14, 2013, 12:19 PM
    I would study all of them. There is no possible way to know in advance which ones will be chosen by the professor. It would help to memorize the formulas, rather than the answers.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2013, 12:34 PM
    This has been posted before along very similar lines - but, as usual, I can't find it.

Apr 14, 2013, 02:54 PM
    Thanks for your help ladies! I appreciate your efforts.

Unfortunately it is not a math test but a philosophy test so there are no formulas. Each question takes about an hour to work out, and it is a 2 hour exam, hence the problem.

Now I am really just curious of how to solve this math problem, but I think I will ask my boyfriend's friend she is an actuary.

Thanks again.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 14, 2013, 03:11 PM
    I'm not a mathematician.
    'How many questions can I skip before it becomes relatively likely that I won't be able to answer 8 of 12?' What good does 'relatively' do you? You have to know 8. Even if you happen to skip 8 and those are in the 12 (regardless of the slim chance), you lose by knowing only 4. If you skip 7, you know only 5, 6, you know only 6, 5, you know only 7, 4, you now know the required 8. So you can only skip 4. Knowing odds is no help because I assume that you don't get partial credit for knowing less than 8.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 01:39 PM
    If the goal is to be able to answer any 8 of the 12, then the odds work out as follows:

If you don't know the answer to 5 questions of the 70, the odds of being able to answer at least 8 of 12 randomly selected questions is 99.75%

If you don't know the answer to 6 of the 70, the odds of being able to answer at least 8 of 12 randomly selected questions is 99.3%

If you don't know the answer to 10 of the 70, the odds of being able to answer at least 8 of 12 randomly selected questions is 93.9%

If you don't know the answer to 20 of the 70, the odds of being able to answer at least 8 of 12 randomly selected questions is 53.3%, and for 21 it's 48.5%. So at 21 you are likely to not be able to answer at least 8 questions correctly.

It's interesting that in order to be able to answer 2/3 of randomly selected questions (i.e. at least 8 of 12), you must have studied slightly more than 2/3 of all the questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability problem? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I'm wondering if someone can help me with a Spreadsheet formula to calculate the chances on my animals making it back Home? Thanks, Leigh

Complicated Problem. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a boyfriend, I'm about to have 5 months with him. Hes really sweet and he really loves me. All his friends tell me that I'm all he talks about. And even though we don't go to the same school, or see each other a lot, he picks me up everyday to make sure he sees me. But I can't be myself...

Probability problem? [ 3 Answers ]

In a bag there are 13 red candies, 13 green candies 13 yellow candies and 13 blue candies. If I pick 1 candy from the bag what is the probability that it will not be blue?

Complicated problem [ 2 Answers ]

The Gross earnings of the factory workers for Darlinda Company during the month of January are $80,000. The employer's payroll taxes for the factory payroll are $8,000. The fringe benefits to be paid by the employer on this payroll are $4,000. Of the total accumulated cost of factory labor, 85% is...

View more questions Search