Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2013, 04:38 PM
    Adjusted Refund
    IRS adjusted my refund and I received $208.99 less than what I expected. When I recheck my refund, I think my calculations are correct. Is it possible that IRS might make a mistake. IRS only disputes the tax amount. We are both getting same gross and adjusted income according to the notice they sent me. The only difference is in amount calculated. When I filed my refund I did not attach my QD and CG Tax Worksheet. Could that make a difference (I thought it was not required to attach as the sheet says keep for your records).

I calculated my refund using Qualified Dividend and Capital Gain Tax work sheet. Here are my calculations for each line.

1. 71444
    2. 452
    3. 1539 (Yes checked)
    4. 1991
    5. 0
    6. 1991
    7. 69453
    8. 70700 (married filing jointly)
    9. 70700
    10. 69453
    11. 1247
    12. 1991
    13. 1247
    14. 744
    15. 111.6
    16. 9551 (from tax table)
    17. 9662.6
    18. 9919
    19. 9662.6

According to IRS either this line is 9871.65 or they are reducing around $208 some from my child tax credit which I calculated as $2000 for two children. Do you see an issue with my Qualified dividend and capital gain tax work sheet?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2013, 10:00 PM
    Sorry, but I would have to see the actual IRS letter and do some modeling on my tax software to be able to comment with any authority.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2013, 12:27 PM
    If my experience is any indication, it is very possible that they miscalculated something. In my case, they correctly found an error that I had made which resulted in my tax being about $100 more-no problem with that.
    But when recalculating, for some unknown reason they credited me with my estimated payments twice, thereby turning my $ 100 error into a plus $ 1,000 error because of their mistake. It appears to me that they do corrections by hand because it is difficult to believe that a computer system could make an error that basic.
    It took six months to get them to accept my check for the over refund they had sent me. They rechecked it four times in several offices of IRS (Houston, Atlanta, Phila.) and kept insisting their refund check was in the correct amount.
    Letters to them In my case-maybe AtlantaTaxExpert gets better results-- letters to them are usually answered in about 43 days telling you that they will get back to you within another 45 days, etc.
    Finally, they agreed to accept my check which I paid via certified mail immediately. Case closed?-NO.
    Once they decided to bill me, they put a hold on any further refunds (supposedly until they received the payment-no good deed goes unpunished) but they forgot to remove the hold (which they later apologized for in a letter) and since they had forgotten to remove the hold, they didn't send the next year's refund until we went through the 45 day reply sequence another 2 or 3 times the next year.
    I guess what I am saying is: Think long and hard before getting into a letter writing campaign with these folks. I had no choice- they could have charged me with fraud at some point for accepting an obvious overpayment. I'll get down off my soapbox but it will be a long time before I forget the experience of trying to deal with them.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2013, 10:20 PM
    Noted
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 12:11 PM
    Given the numbers you provide the math is correct, so the issue is whether the IRS agrees with your lines 1, 2, and 3 of the worksheet. I played with the numbers a little, and it appears that their calculation is based on setting line 3 to $0, not $1539. So check to verify that the smaller amount on line 15 or 16 of Schedule D (which is where Line 3 of this worksheet comes from) is $1539 and not $0.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to return portion of refund where do I enter original refund on 1040x? [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problem completing 2010 1040x I forgot to include a 1099 and will now have to pay part of my refund back (sample original refund $500 s/b $400), Do I put the original refund that I am to receive from IRS on 1040x line 14? I will pay IRS before due date the $100.00 to avoid late...

OPT status- Notice of Adjusted Refund [ 1 Answers ]

I just got my Notice of Adjusted Refund in the mail a few weeks back, and instead of the big refund I was expecting, I got hit with a NYC Part-Year Resident Tax and didn't get my NYC Income tax refunded. I thought I was not supposed to pay NYC Part Year Resident Tax or NYC Income Tax while I'm on...

Adjusted Entries [ 4 Answers ]

Prepare year end adjusted entries for the following 1 Office supplies had a balance of $168 on Jan 1. Purchases debited to office supplies during the year amount to $830. A year end inventory reveals supplies of $570 oon hand. 2. Depreciation of office equipment is estimated to be $4,260 for the...

View more questions Search