Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debel69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2013, 03:25 PM
    Can u buy car in pa from private owner if title is lost?
    My sister is selling car to my daughter and we can't find title. My daughter needs the car right away. Do you have any answers so she can drive it before we get the title back. Pa laws are different so I don't know?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Are you saying you can't register it?

I bought a new car and didn't get the title for 5 weeks. In the meantime I drove the car.

This is a legal question, and I've asked that it be moved.
    debel69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2013, 03:38 PM
    It is registered to my sister and we want to buy it and drive it until the title comes and this is in Pa.? I am asking if we can do this without the title?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2013, 04:05 PM
    You need a tag of course. And as you know, PA farms out issuance of tags to certain notaries, title service companies, and messenger companies. I suggest that you contact one of them for guidance on the best way to handle this. They may be able to issue you a temp. tag based on their personally observing the serial number of the vehicle from the tag on the dash.

This is one of the large service reps in my area with other offices in central PA (not a friend or relative of mine by the way). Call them and they will know how to get you on the road and give you guidance (or use one you know of in your area):
    Sollenberger's Messenger Service Inc.

This is access to the PennDOT form for replacing a title:
    Pennsylvania - Replacing a Lost Title - How To Get a Duplicate PA Title at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2013, 06:26 PM
    Will sister just leave it in her name and let daughter drive it, till she gets the title.

You can not change ownership and register it without the title

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to buy a used car from a private party, what is the sure way to get paid? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a stop payment be initiated by the purchaser of a bank check or bank money order?

Can I force the private seller to buy his car back in CA? [ 2 Answers ]

About a week ago I bought a car from someone off internet and there wasn't any written warranty. The car had an out-of-state title, but he was willing to go to DMV with me to register the car under my name and all I thought was left is the inspection from the DMV. So when I went to do a smog test,...

Can I minor buy a car from a private party in Calif [ 9 Answers ]

My grandson bought a car from a private party for $700.00. He is 17 years old, but does have a Calif. Driver license. The car is very beat up, the transmission went out on the way home, and I don't think there is any oil in the car. The person he bought it from signed the pink slip and gave it...

Bought a junk car from private owner [ 1 Answers ]

My son bought a 1994 pathfinder from a private owner. When he took the car to a garage for exhaust work he was told the frame is shot and it shouldn't be on the road. He took the car to three different places and they all told him the same thing. He's had the car less than a month. Does he have...

How do I get car title from a private party [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a car from a friend. Have had the car for over a year and it is paid off. The friend said he was working on getting the lost title but I never got it. He has since moved to another state and refuses to return my call. I now have a car that I have no title to cannot register or get...

View more questions Search