Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    player21 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2005, 07:52 AM
    How do I find out what motherboard I have?
    How can you find out what motherboard you have without opening the cpu?
    And how can you find out what's the highest speed processor your motherboard can handle? Help!! 1 :confused:
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Jan 27, 2005, 08:29 AM
    Howdy:

Download a small program called Belarc (www.belarc.com) and run it.. It will tell you what you need to know and a whole lot more..

As for your mobo spec's, once you know the make and model of your motherboard, just do to the manufacturers website and search it.. The specs detail should give you what you need..

Murray

Jan 27, 2005, 08:57 AM
    Thanks, I got my motherboard info. The name is Compaq 0648h, now how do I find out what the highest speed processor it can handle? I tried to search Yahoo nad Google, but I didn't find out anything. I also went to compaq.com, but I didn't find anything there. HELP!!

Jan 27, 2005, 09:11 AM
    Okay.. found a few hits for that but I need the make and model of your system.. I know it's a Compaq but which model?

Murray

Jan 27, 2005, 06:04 PM
    I don't know where the model number is? There is a 4 digit number on the front on the cpu, the number is 7360. I hope that helps, and how will you find out that information? That's what I need to know is how to find out that information. OK, thanks!!

Jan 28, 2005, 05:49 AM
    The model could be on a sticker on the back or underneath.. IE Compaq Presario Model XXXX.. as it stands, you may have a Presario Desktop Model 7360..

If so, it uses an AMD processor to 500mHz max..

Murray

Jan 28, 2005, 08:04 AM
    My processor is right now 500 mhz. its I got it I think about 4 to 5 years ago.
    The processor has to go up to at least 1 ghz. Now adays, amd processors go up to I think 2 ghz. Maybe the motherboard is old and the processors didn't go that high back then. OK, thanks for your response!!

Jan 28, 2005, 08:29 AM
    They do.. it's just that your MOBO doesn't support it.. totally different pin setup on the processor!

Murray

Jan 28, 2005, 12:46 PM
    Did you find out how much processor speed my motherboard can handle?
    If I were to buy another processor, how would I know that which processor will best fit my motherboard, like, how can I know which pins will fit, what size should the porcessor be, like those questions. OK, thanks!!

Jan 28, 2005, 01:12 PM
    It appears to be the 500 as tops.. Your system manual should provide you with all that info..

In order to do any better, you would need a new motherboard and processor.. A completely new system would be cheaper!

Murray

Jan 28, 2005, 03:35 PM
    Getting a new system would be much better. How much does a motherboard and a processor cost? Thanks for all your help!!

Jan 28, 2005, 05:36 PM
    I have no idea.. Try going to tigerdirect.com or newegg.com and check some prices out..

Murray

Jan 28, 2005, 07:02 PM
    I found a great software. It tells everything except what processor speed my motherboard can handle. It says that the processor socket destination is U6. Is that what the socket is? I thought that the socket was like either A, 478, or some other number? If you install a new processor, do you have to update the BIOS also? If so, then how? Thanks!!

Jan 29, 2005, 07:23 AM
    First of all, are you sure you read that right? CMOS chips use that designation NOT CPU processor chips..

As for your BIOS, forget it.. Your system is TO OLD to upgrade past where you are.. even if you could move up a few mHz's, you wouldn't see the difference and to move to ANYTHING running near today's standard is a complete impossibility on that motherboard..

Nuff said on it.. If you want a faster system, you MUST get a newer motherboard and processor.. no IFs, ANDs or BUTs! Plain and simple.. it ain't going to happen on your system..

Murray

Jan 29, 2005, 11:36 AM
    I ran that software and it checked my computer. I clicked on processor. It said there that the socket destination is u6. What is CMOS? If I get a new motherboard, will the sound and video card be installed? I don't mean the sound and video on a pci slot, I mean on the motherboard? So if I buy just a motherboard and a processor, that will make my computer faster? After installation, will I have to configure anything, that's sometimes a pain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motherboard Manual [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I download the manual of my 663AS PRO (Jetway) Mainboard? It is not available at the Jetway site neither to other sites I have checked. Can anyone direct me to the proper site?

Motherboard prices [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone can suggest a good motherboard.. like good quality and reasonable price? Somebody told me is around C$500. Is it true? What if a certain component in the motherboard is not functioning well, is it necessary to change the motherboard? Ty in advance.

Motherboard... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I wonder how to find out if my motherboard is ATX or not, cause I'm buying an new midi tower for my PC and I wonder if my current motherboard will fit in to it...

Motherboard [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one help with my new motherboard? I have bought a MSI KT4 Ultra motherboard and AMD 2.4 XP,1G DDR Ram,80G HHD but when I put all this together and boot it up all, I got was blank screen becase it didn't autodetect my CPU at 133MHz and I can't set it up manually because there no jumper...

Motherboard [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one help with my new motherboard? I have bought a MSI KT4 Ultra motherboard and AMD 2.4 XP,1G DDR Ram,80G HHD but when I put all this together and boot it up all, I got was blank screen becase it didn't autodetect my CPU at 133MHz and I can't set it up manually because there no jumper...

View more questions Search