Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mvirginia44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Rabies shot reaction
    My 12 lb Jack Russell became extremley lethargic and anxious for 2 days following a rabies booster,distemper booster, and kennel cough vacine(nasal). Would it be better to have these vacines on separate visits? Which one would most likely cause this reaction?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Reactions aren't that common. It is hard to say which may have caused it. If you are going to have a problem, I doubt inconveniencing yourself and the greater expense of 3 visits will help.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Mar 21, 2007, 11:02 AM
    More than likely, the reaction came from the bordatella, or kennel cough vaccine. This was the most common in the clinic I worked in. Was there a localized reaction at the vaccination site-redness, hair loss, swelling? Next year, consider giving the rabies booster only and go back after 1 week for the final vaccines. An injectable kennel cough may be a better way of administration for your dog. Just be sure and discuss this with your vet before any shots are given next time-they can also give pain relievers and benadryl before vaccinations to help him feel comfortable. Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rabies [ 7 Answers ]

My dog has an auto immune disorder my vet has suggested no more vaccinations except for rabies. Her disorder is very rare and I am worried if we get the rabie shot that her health will be at jeopardy. She is 5 years old and has been vaccinated until she was 3. Is the rabie shot mandatory I live in...

Distempber Shot Reaction [ 5 Answers ]

Our 1 1/2 year olf Aussie Terrier got a distemper shot two days ago. She ate OK yesterday and all "bodily functions" seem normal. However, her ears and tail are not up and she just wants to stay in her kennel. She ever shys away from us. Any clue what is going oin or do we just wait it out. ...

Can a dog get rabies when he has his shots [ 3 Answers ]

My dog got into a tussle with a possom. We think he got bit but he has his rabies shots. Is it possible he can get rabies from this? Thank you for your time.

Rabies? Kujo? [ 2 Answers ]

I was at my uncle ans aunts farm, and they have a st.bernard. He's very nice and friendly... most of the time, but the last time I was out, me and my mom were sitting in the shade with the dog. And petting him, and he went haywire, and bit me and my mom, and a 200 pound dog biting you doesn't leave...

Rabie Shot reaction? [ 2 Answers ]

I had my two 4 month old doxies in to the vets today for there 2nd kennel cough shot and their first rabie shot. Since we have gotten home both pups are yelping each time we pick them up, and they have been shaking for 2 hours. Is this normal after these shots, or are they having a reaction, I'm...

View more questions Search