Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    degarthy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2013, 05:11 AM
    What causes banging noise in walls after flushing toilet
    I live in a condominium on the first floor. I noticed last night after flushing the toilet in the Condo's Master Bathroom, that it made lots of banging noises as if someone was outside hitting the walls with something. I initially thought it was outside the condo in the hallway, but after going in using the toilet on 2 occasions, and experiencing the same problem, I determined it was the toilet.

My room mate and I are not savvy when it comes to plumbing DIY, but wanted to at least gather some prelim information to narrow the problems down before calling in a professional.

Thank you in advance for your help.

"D"
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 01:00 PM
    Hi, I'm just guessing because I have the same intermitent problem with my toilet and my taps.
    Could it be air in the system? If you turn on all the taps for a while,it will make lots of noise but will clear eventually for a while... give it a try.
    Your system could need bleeding to remove the air.
    Just a guess...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 03:38 PM
    Hi Degarthy

First, the issue is NOT air in the pipes as guessed by Orphan. Here, since you haven't disturbed the water system, air can't get in and cause these issues.

Second, the issue could be the toilet fill valve (sediment caught in under the washer) or the toilet shut off valve (washer chatter).

These two options are realistic and pretty easy to fix, but both involve messing with the condo. Plumbing and possibly shutting down the water supply to your unit.

If you are not handy, chat with one of the maintenance guys and see if they will check into this for you for a reasonable charge. They are usually happy to do the "easy jobs" and it should save you some money compared to hiring a plumber!

Back to you...

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 13, 2013, 09:29 AM
    Which ballcock's yours? Back tom you. Tom
    Attached Images

Apr 13, 2013, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Which ballcock's yours? Back tom you., Tom
    Tom, the one with the ball floating on top of the water.

Apr 13, 2013, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Degarthy

First, the issue is NOT air in the pipes as guessed by Orphan. Here, since you haven't disturbed the water system, air can't get in and cause these issues.

Second, the issue could be the toilet fill valve (sediment caught in under the washer) or the toilet shut off valve (washer chatter).

These two options are realistic and pretty easy to fix, but both involve messing with the condo. plumbing and possibly shutting down the water supply to your unit.

If you are not handy, chat with one of the maintenance guys and see if they will check into this for you for a reasonable charge. They are usually happy to do the "easy jobs" and it should save you some money compared to hiring a plumber!

Back to you...

Mark
    Mark... we do not have a maintenance person that will address plumbing. But, thanks for the other feedback. Very helpful.

Tom... correction. We have the one on the Left. (no ball; a lid that opens to let water in and closes when it is filled). We have the 400A diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by degarthy View Post
    Tom, the one with the ball floating on top of the water.
    Correction: We have the diagram on the left...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 14, 2013, 11:59 AM
    Any other banging? Such as when you close a tap? Or is it only the toilet? Back to you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banging noise when flushing toilet [ 6 Answers ]

I have three toilets in my house but this only affects the one in the basement. Whenever I flush the toilet, that is, immediately after I press the flush handle, I hear a loud "thump." The toilet flushes and fills with water normally. It makes no difference whether it's cold or warm. Any ideas?

Banging noise when flushing [ 1 Answers ]

Why is my toilet making a banging noise after flushing?

Banging noise after flushing the toilet [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, so the toilet in my bathroom (in the master) started making a loud banging noise after I flush and as the water is going down, it sounds like the noise is coming from the pipe in the wall. This happened a couple months back and I used a plunger and the noise went away and is now back. I...

Banging/Tapping Noise when turning on faucet/flushing toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys! In addition to my little problem with my toilet posted in another thread (can fix it easily), I have another issue. Every time I use the upstairs shower/toilets/sink, when running water, a loud banging/tapping noise appears. When you turn it off, the banging noise still appears...

View more questions Search