Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lynda1964 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 05:30 PM
    Turned AC on & it immediately turned off with loud pop/blue spark at plug. HELP!
    My air conditioner was off, and my daughter went and turned it on. As soon as she pushed the power button on, she said there was a loud pop sound at the plug, and she said she saw a blue spark at the plug, and the air conditioner did not turn on. There is a green light on the plug that is usually on, but when this happened it went out. This has scared the both of us very much. I told my daughter not to touch the AC unit at all until I can try to get some answers about this. It is just my daughter and I, we have no family at all, and we have no one at all to ask about this. I am completely bedridden, so I am very concerned about this as I feel this may not be safe. Any idea as to why this has happened? My only theory is this. Since becoming disabled, I obviously can't cut the grass and I had no one else to cut the grass. The grass became very high, and I didn't know that would attract snakes and mice. But it did.The mice got in my house, and my daughter and I have been trying hard to get them out. We know they got into some of the walls, and my concern is could they have chewed any of the electrical wiring? If so, is this unsafe? What can happen? Could it have caused the AC to do what it did today? Should my daughter unplug the AC? Should she try to turn the AC back on again? I was scared for her to touch it. I would appreciate any help. It's very hard and very scary being in this condition (spinal injury) and can't do anything and have no one to help me besides my daughter who is just a young teen. So when ever there is a problem, we just don't know what to do. So if anyone can shed some light on this, we would really appreciate it. Thanks!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 03:48 AM
    Hi Lynda,

If you have bare wires in the walls with electricity going through them there is a potential for an electric fire. This is not to scare you but to inform.

Have an electrician check out your electrical system for your own and your daughters safety.

Let us know the out come as there may be some other way we can help you.

Good luck

Chuck
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 04:09 AM
    Agreed.. you really do need to bring in a professional for this one...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2013, 06:27 AM
    Air conditioner may be OK. An Electrician should turn power off to that receptacle, remove receptacle, correct any damage wiring, replace the receptacle, and if it damaged the AC's cord, replace.
    Short may just be inside the box, and was not caused by your daughter.
    Good Luck
    You could test the AC with an Extension cord, if 120 volts, #12 would be best, and wouldn't use smaller wire. Just a Test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noise when hot water is turned on, very loud [ 1 Answers ]

New construction floor in a residendial aprtment complex. Hot water tab to the existing hot water tank. The tank is located on the roof 270 feet abouve the new construction. The feed and return hot water pipes that was ran vibrates and cause a loud noise on the construction floormecanical room.

Stomach turned blue [ 4 Answers ]

I am 27 weeks pregnant, is it normal that my stomach turned blue on me?

Loud vibrating noise when water is turned off [ 0 Answers ]

About a week ago we started hearing a very loud humming/vibrating noise after almost every time we turn off the water or after the toilet is flushed? What is this, and what do we need to do? Do we need to just call a plumber? Thanks!

Loud noise when tub is turned on or off [ 2 Answers ]

Our tub faucet just started making a loud, low pitched noise (like a foghorn) when we turn the water on or off. It happens when there is not a lot of water running through the pipes and stops when we turn the faucet up higher. It happens with both the cold and hot water. Does anybody know what...

View more questions Search