Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tweetersufo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 04:09 PM
    What to do for a dog who won't eat or drink
    Greetings all! I have a few questions for you and hopefully someone can answer them. Yes, I have booked a vet apointment for Monday (it's Thursday now), but from now and then, I want to get some feedback.

I have been reading things all over the internet about what is wrong with a dog who won't eat or drink, but non of it seems right.

I have a beautiful, loving and active Aussie blue healer who, from what I see, isn't feeling so hot. She has not been eting her dry food all that much (though she can chow down on her wet food like it's going out of style) and has not been drinking that much water either. She eats about 2-3 Cups a food a day on average, but as of late, one cup will last a few days. And I only have to fill her water bowl once, maybe twice a day compared to the 3 to 5 times a day. Her urine is bright yellow and with a very strong smell (obviously from dehydration) which started just yesterday. She is still very active, but very clingy. I can't seem to keep her away from me. She always, ALWAYS, has to be right by my side. Also, she is taking a few more naps than normal with them being an hour to two hours long.

The internet told me she could be constipated, or have cancer. So, between now and Monday, what do you think would be best for me to do? I'm not looking for or interested in reading about your life story with your dog. I am looking for answers, or a well educated guess as to what is going on and what I can do to help ease her pain until Monday.

Thank you for your help!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 04:22 PM
    We really can't give a diagnosis, but we can guess. I do want to warn you that guesses cannot be taken as a diagnosis, and if we're wrong, and this is serious, you could lose your dog. So please, take these posts with a grain of salt, and realize that the only way to find out what's happening is by seeing your vet.

I do have a few questions. How old is your dog? Is she up to date on all of her shots? Is she spayed? Does she appear to be in pain? Is she defecating (pooing)? If she is defecating how is her stool, hard, soft, runny? How long has this been going on (days, weeks, months?)
    tweetersufo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 04:40 PM
    She is one year and nine months, UTD on all of her shots, she is not fixed, she does not yelp or cry when I touch her. She omlt does at night when she is py in her cage (this started the same time the lack of eating and drinking started ), hers very in size and density as of late only going once or not at all during the day. And this has been going on for 4 days as of today.

As stated before, she will be seeing a vet Monday.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 11:52 AM
    A dog that is not spayed and showing signs like yours is could be pyometra.

She could have a mild form of food poisoning and is just nauseous. Try giving her a spoonful of yogurt 2 to 3 times a day and see how she does.

It could be pancreatitis... this is typically followed with vomiting and diarrhea... blood work usually will rule that in or out..

Stress can also cause dogs to stop eating and can get vomiting and/or diarrhea..

Just keep water available and maybe feed her a cooked, bland diet.. maybe boiled chicken and rice or browned hamburger and rice.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 01:16 PM
    I was wondering if she has a problem with her mouth,maybe infection or perhaps she's picked something up from outside put it in her mouth and its cut her or caused ulcers etc... this may cause her pain on eating so doesn't eat much dry food,it could even be a toothache,we know how bad that can be.Maybe feed her soft almost mushy food like a baby would have( very wet), just until Monday.Obviously she's not getting enough fluid to flush anything out of her system.. perhaps you could try some sort of bottle that would enable you to squeeze the fluid into her mouth,she may take it if she's sat relaxed beside you.

It does sound as though there is an infection of some sort or another,maybe urine or from the mouth so this will make her very poorly,hopefully the vet can sort it out on Monday.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
    I have a beautiful, loving and active Aussie blue healer who, from what I see, isn't feeling so hot. She has not been eting her dry food all that much (though she can chow down on her wet food like it's going out of style) and has not been drinking that much water either. She eats about 2-3 Cups a food a day on average, but as of late, one cup will last a few days. And I only have to fill her water bowl once, maybe twice a day compared to the 3 to 5 times a day. Her urine is bright yellow and with a very strong smell (obviously from dehydration) which started just yesterday. She is still very active, but very clingy. I can't seem to keep her away from me. She always, ALWAYS, has to be right by my side. Also, she is taking a few more naps than normal with them being an hour to two hours long.
    I am a bit confused. You say that she isn't eating or barely eating. Then you say that she isn't eating her dry food, but she "can chow down on her wet food like it is going out of style."

Is the '2-3 cups' of food the amount of dry food she normally eats or does it include the wet food?

Is she eating her wet food? If so, have you increased the amount of wet food she is getting to cover the dry food that she isn't?

When was the last time she went into heat/season?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    I am a bit confused. You say that she isn't eating or barely eating. Then you say that she isn't eating her dry food, but she "can chow down on her wet food like it is going out of style."

Is the '2-3 cups' of food the amount of dry food she normally eats or does it include the wet food?

Is she eating her wet food? If so, have you increased the amount of wet food she is getting to cover the dry food that she isn't?

When was the last time she went into heat/season?
    Absolutely good questions and I was just about to ask that!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 03:24 PM
    If she's only eating wet food that could explain the change in her stools, if it's runny, or even hard. A sudden change in food can affect a dogs stomach. She may just have a sore tummy because of all the wet food she's getting.

But, that doesn't explain why she suddenly stopped wanting her regular food, or the fact that she's not drinking a lot. .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My pit bull won't eat or drink how to I get him to at least drink [ 1 Answers ]

My 3 and a half pit is sick and has a cough his caugh is better but he still won't eat and drink what can I do

My dog had pyometra surgery Sunday came home tues. Still won't drink or eat a lot [ 8 Answers ]

My dog Tess had surgery last Sunday(pyometra) she is 8 years old. Brought her home on Tuesday. Tess has eaten a bit not a lot just pieces of chicken. Tess refuses to drink I have given her water by syringe. Brought her to the vet yesterday and she is not dehydrated does not have a fever so what is...

Puppie won't eat or drink and is still being sick? [ 2 Answers ]

Puppy 12 weeks won't eat or drink is being sick and just sleeps called out vet he was kept overnight and put on a drip they said he had perked up next day charged 130 pound and sented him home when home still would not eat or drink still had all the same things wrong with him am taking him back to...

My seven month old chiauaua won't eat or drink water what is wrong? [ 4 Answers ]

My dog has not wanted to drink or eat water he has slept and hidden from us the past few days and when I tride to put food in his mouth I noticed that his mouth was cold and drying out I really don't know what is wrong.

View more questions Search