Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2013, 03:18 PM
    How to neuter your political opponents
    No doubt every political party has sought to challenge its opponents in ways other than the ballot box but sometimes all it takes is the stroke of a pen

The ALP is as good as unlawful in NSW. Here's why. - The Drum Opinion (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

So when is democracy not democracy that is the question? Australia has a long history of political innovation which is taken up elsewhere
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2013, 04:01 PM
    I was going to make my comment . But reading to comment section to your link I found the perfect reply :

There isn't much democracy to compulsory unionism with a percent of compulsory fees being paid to a political party the payer might not want to vote for. Neither is there much democracy to a bunch of men who are compelled to put their arm into the centre of a circle on the understanding that "you're with us or you're against us". Unions are the last people with a right to lecture about democracy. They would reinstate those abuses in an instant if they could.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2013, 08:24 PM
    A particularly right wing view. Unions here are a little more democratic than that, but I can't disagree with the need to separate unions from directly influencing the political process. There is nothing to prevent an individual union member from supporting a political party but we don't need the rabid advertising campaigns we saw associated with Work Choices
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 03:59 AM
    I take a different view. I have no problem with them acting in association to influence the political process. My problem is when they coerce dues from rank and file ,and then turn the money over to a politician.
    It becomes a bigger problem when public service unions (which I think should be against the law ) give contributions to politicians who will sit opposite them at the negotiating table for wages and benefits. To me that is a clear conflict of interest situation.
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2013, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I take a different view. I have no problem with them acting in association to influence the political process. My problem is when they coerce dues from rank and file ,and then turn the money over to a politician.
    It becomes a bigger problem when public service unions (which I think should be against the law ) give contributions to politicians who will sit opposite them at the negotiating table for wages and benefits. To me that is a clear conflict of interest situation.
    Yes Tom there are conflicts of interest and this is what this leglisation is intended to prevent. If you allow unions then why should public servants be denied representation but those unions should not be making campaign contributions anymore than other unions are.

I think it is interesting that Labor have little faith in being able to gain financial support from the rank and file without it coming via the unions. Unions here have lost a great deal of ground over recent decades and this is a little more ground. My personal view is that the Labor party, which is a party of leftist views founded by the unions, is in dire need of reorganisation and rebirth. It has lost its way and is being swept from power in every election. They are even being criticised by such people as Murdoch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've completed AB in Political Science, can regard myself as a political philosopher [ 2 Answers ]

I have completed a four year degree AB in Political Science, with that can regard myself as a political philosopher? I have long been interested with the state, the best form it, its functions and parts, and its relations which led me to take up the course of Political Science and with academic...

Opponents of gun-control laws argue that the Second Amendment was intended to protect [ 1 Answers ]

Opponents of gun-control laws argue that the Second Amendment was intended to protect

A Political Joke from a Non-Political Person, LOL [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... thought this was funny and wanted to share it with all of you... A little boy goes to his dad and asks, "What is politics?" Dad says, "Well son, let me try to explain it this way: I am the head of the family..so call me the President..... Your mother is the administrator of the...

Reasons proponentes are for unions and opponents are against union [ 1 Answers ]

Also identify recommendations for management which would improve mgmt/labor relations... and... recomendations for thr labor union to implement which would improve mgmt/labor relations...

One more reason to Spay and Neuter [ 1 Answers ]

ZoomTown OR http://www.dogsindanger.com/aboutus.jsp

View more questions Search