Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tbsubramanian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Confusion over Child tax credit with ITIN applied along with Tax returns for 1st time
    Hi,
    I am Bala and I came to US last year April 2006 with my family. I came to US with H1B visa and my spouse and kid has H4.

I am aware of the fact that I can claim Child tax credit if I have ITIN for my child. But since there is change is process that we can't apply for ITIN separately and the same has to be applied along with Tax filing. My question is

1. My tax consultant told me that without having ITIN for my child(as first year we can't have ITIN as it has to be filed along with tax filing), I can't claim child credit for him. Though I applied for ITIN along with tax submission, will that not be considered for child tax credit.

2. How do I claim for child tax credit for the first year with ITIN being applied for him

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards
    Bala
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Bala:

You CAN claim the Child Tax Credit if yo0u file jointly with your wife and you BOTH choose to be treated as resident aliens for ALL of 2006. That requires you declare any income you made in your home country. You can also claim a tax credit for the income taxes you paid on the home-country-based income, but the credit is NOT dollar-for-dollar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax returns - ITIN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Facts I have 3 dependants 2 children and a spouse. One child is born in the US and has an SSN. My wife and a child do not have a SSN or ITIN. We have been in the US fince Jan 2005. I have the exemption as 5 on my W-2 withholdings I do not need to file any state taxes

Child Tax Credit and No Tax ID [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Me and my wife are in US on H1 and we have two issues in filing tax return this year. We have four year old daughter and in order to obtain "child tax credit" and "child care credit" we should have tax id for our daughter. As per the procedure we need to send completed W7 and income tax...

Have applied for ITIN but how to file state tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have applied for ITIN for my spouse with my federal tax. Last year I had income from California and New Jersey. IN NJ they ask me to send copies of W7 form and federal taxes with NJ tax return. But I am not sure about California? Can I do same thing with California return? Thanks for...

Applying for ITIN for spouse while filing taxes & Child tax credit exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am aftab and my wife and kid joined me in 2006, as they are on H4 they are not eligible for a SSN so I need to apply for an ITIN. Please explain the process as to Should I be sending my returns filled in manually along with the application for ITIN for my spouse and kid? Will the...

View more questions Search