Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clyde mack Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 08:34 AM
    When do I file motion to dismiss
    When do I file motion to dismiss if I learn that the plaintiff is not the owner and has no legal authourity to file a claim the case was not dismissed instead they were given 30 days to amend the claim
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
    You should have filed to dismiss prior to the initial hearing. You can file your motion to dismiss at any time and the plaintiff will be given a chance to respond by the next hearing.

Apr 11, 2013, 08:45 AM
    When do I file motion to dismiss
    I would like to know when to file a motion to dismiss after I discover that the person filing the eviction had no legal authourity to do so for he is not the owner of the property nor is he a lawyer for the owner
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 08:54 AM
    This has been answered on your first post by ScottGem.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2013, 08:55 AM
    Good catch - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ml#post3440430

Apr 11, 2013, 09:01 AM
    I only learned that he was not the owner at the first cause hearing he claimed he was the owner when I signed the lease he collected 1700 hundred dollars 9 days later I was served a notice to leave and hit with a 6500 lawsuit
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2013, 10:19 AM
    So, let me get this straight and try to fill in the blanks you have left..

You signed a lease to rent some property with X. X claimed to be the owner. You paid him $1700 and moved in. After 9 days X served you a notice to leave and filed suit for $6500?

This makes no sense. It would make sense if X wasn't the owner and the real owner served notice and filed suit. In which case there are no grounds for your motion. But if X is actually suing you, then I would suspect he has the legal right to represent this property. And, therefore, sue you.

Your question about when to file your motion was answered. If you want more help with this suit you are going to have provide more details, since what you have provided makes no sense.

{Mod Note: Threads merged, please keep to one thread for the same issues.}

I might add, after reading your second thread, this makes even less sense. If a person were to enter into a lease to rent property he had no legal right to rent, then he would be guilt of criminal fraud. Such a person would hardly be likely to file suit in a court of law since he could be arrested for fraud.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clyde mack
    when do i file motion to dismiss if i learn that the plaintiff is not the owner and has no legal authourity to file a claim the case was not dismissed instead they were given 30 days to amend the claim
    I suspect the judge meant that plaintiff could amend in 30 days and, if not, the case would be dismissed.

Assuming that an amended complaint is filed within that time, you would then move to dismiss that amended complaint, assuming that it's still not well-pleaded.

Assuming the court rules in your jurisdiction are similar to civil rules in most places, a motion to dismiss is not, by the way, appropriate to argue that the allegations of the complaint are not correct; it's just to test whether the allegations, if true, would state a cause of action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

File a motion to dismiss? [ 2 Answers ]

Please direct me on how to file a motion to dismiss a traffic ticket issued to my husband at the very moment he was having the symptoms of a heart attack. He requested the issuing officer to call 911, the officer did and regardless, he was given the citation. We feel this has been very unjust....

How to file motion to dismiss? [ 1 Answers ]

I am being sued by my brother over a propery in the U.S I lived there at the time the matter was setteled through Mediation by friends. I moved to Canada and he is suing me for $700,000. His claim is based on he said she said. He is a US citizen all the witnesses live in the U.S.

How do I file a motion to dismiss in NC? [ 3 Answers ]

To summarize, I was served a summons in August of 2009 by Mann Bracken for a case involving Arrow Financial. Arrow Financial is claiming I entered into an agreement with them to pay back money owed on an account they bought. I never entered into any type of agreement with them, nor have I ever...

How to file motion to dismiss [ 11 Answers ]

I was served for a credit card debt that was not mine. I filed a response and sent the plaintiff as set of questions to answer, but he has not responded in over thirty days. I did respond to his interrogatories, I also sent him another list of formal interrogatories as well as a request for...

View more questions Search