Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anxiety-ridden Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2013, 11:51 PM
    What should I do now?
    Hi I'm a 30yr old Caucasian male (160 lbs 5'9"). I recently was diagnosed with pneumonia in my lower right lung. I am (or was) a regular smoker of cigarettes (1pk per day) and marijuana (about 2 joints a day). Now that I fell sick, it's a no-brainer that I won't be smoking either one any more. My doctor told me about a year ago to avoid caffeine and alcohol drinks, as I have an anxiety disorder. I've tried soooo many kinds of anxiety meds that are out there and I'm yet to find one that helps, or doesn't cause horrible side effects.

I guess my question is, what should one do when they can't smoke cigarettes, have coffee or tea, drink alcoholic drinks, smoke marijuana, and avoid all caffeinated drinks altogether? Xanax was the best thing I've ever taken to help with my anxiety but I want to avoid it because of its dependency. Something safer but similar would be a God-send. Please note: I understand we all don't need a "poison" to function. I've tried to do without anything, and always end up hyperventilating or really upset. But the marijuana seemed to help the best for my anxiety. Plus, it had no side effects (except the fact that it is deadly smoke filling my lungs everyday). What should I do to remain healthy and balanced?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 12:07 AM
    Has the doctor prescribed Prozac for you yet?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 11, 2013, 01:06 AM
    If you are in a medical marijuana state, you can cook with it, or buy foods cooked for you.
    It needs a fat or oil base to bring it out (hence the classic pot brownie).

Apr 11, 2013, 01:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Has the doctor prescribed Prozac for you yet?
    Yes, I've tried Prozac. It was among the first meds I've tried. I regret not writing the meds down as I trialled them, but I will touch base with my doctor to get a list. I've given up on meds, but am afraid I will have to fall back on them, especially now that I can't smoke.

Apr 11, 2013, 01:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    If you are in a medical marijuana state, you can cook with it, or buy foods cooked for you.
    It needs a fat or oil base to bring it out (hence the classic pot brownie).
    As of now, it is not legal in this state. I know it's a risk, but it was working.
    current pert

Apr 11, 2013, 03:19 AM
    And you can't throw an egg, oil and water into a brownie mix?

Apr 11, 2013, 03:23 AM
    Thank you, but I'm not going to eat pot. I've tried it before and it tastes like brownies that someone poured a dustpan full of trash into before baking. I think there is a solution for me other than pot brownies.

Apr 11, 2013, 03:34 AM
    On second thought, it's been a while and the pot in those brownies was obviously not broken down enough. Perhaps I'll give it another go. However, a legal way of going about it can only ease the anxiety I face on a day to day basis. Although smoking marijuana worked, it came with its own side effects: the worry of being caught.
    current pert

Apr 11, 2013, 05:48 AM
    What state are you in?
    There's a good site called medicalmarijuanaprocon.org that has current, well organized lists of the states and what each is doing or has done. Look at the left column of the main page.
    (Or procon.org, and go down the page to the marijuana section.)
    Many people make pot butter first, and use that in cooking. I don't think you need to cook it 2 hours as some do. I think the jury is out on that.
    I haven't eaten pot since the 60s, except 2 years ago when I bought a little bit to give my dying father for pain. We both ate some in eggs but didn't feel anything. I was afraid to use too much and freak him out. Plus eggs cook too fast.
    But I heard on CNBC yesterday about a company that evaluates each of hundreds of kinds of pot for which medical condition it is best for, something I had never heard of before.
    current pert

Apr 11, 2013, 06:21 AM
    Also, if your anxiety is based on traumatic events, there are studies showing that soldiers with PTSD/flashbacks/high anxiety did surprisingly well by taking blood pressure medication just before an attack. Of course that's not something you do without being in a study and carefully monitored, but it may be leading to better knowledge of anxiety. Along with medical marijuana.
    I have taken different anti-depressants over the years and know full well the disappointment. A few would work for a month or two. Many had side effects that I couldn't tolerate. I gave up years ago. Yet my sister took one at a small dose and felt better almost immediately.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by anxiety-ridden View Post
    As of now, it is not legal in this state. I know it's a risk, but it was working.
    It isn't legal in Canada either, except with a doctor's cert. will your doctor do this for you? If not your doctor, then find a reliable source; you don't have to smoke it, just ingest it, but gain a few pounds.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 08:34 AM
    What about lithium? That was the drug of choice for depression/anxiety until all the new ones were discovered. With any drug there will be initial side effects, but often they dissipate after a few weeks as your body acclimates. Did you give each med a fair trial? Yes, be sure to get a list of tried-out meds from your doctor along with notes about side effects you experienced with each.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search