Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cvickers1221 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2013, 08:12 PM
    Pharmacist violating privacy
    Okay I went to pick up a perscrition. For a family member. They pharmcist how was the person that was on this medication. I said not good had given her information and that I was very concerned and hoped this medication was safe with other things she was taking. (Illegal drugs) Next thing I know my family calls the pharmacist told her everything I said said that it was me now my family member hates me and a lot of things are Happening. Is this a hippa vialation?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 08:14 PM
    I can't understand your post. Please read it over and correct it so that it makes sense.

Apr 10, 2013, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I can't understand your post. Please read it over and correct it so that it makes sense.

Okay I went to get medicine for my mom, I had told the pharmcist I was concerned her being on this medication cause she was using an illegal drug also. She told me it could kill her mixing everything she was taking including the illegal drug. We talked a while about it and then she called and told my mother everything I had said! Is that okay or is that a vialation?
    Education Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvickers1221 View Post

Okay i went to get medicine for my mom, I had told the pharmcist I was concerned her being on this medication cause she was using an illegal drug also. She told me it could kill her mixing everything she was taking including the illegal drug. We talked a while about it and then she called and told my mother everything I had said! Is that okay or is that a vialation ??
    Why would it be a violation? The information you told the pharmacist was regarding your mother. The pharmacist spoke to your mother to warn her about the dangers of mixing the drugs. She is the patient.

Apr 10, 2013, 08:27 PM
    By giving her my name and saying I'm the one that did told her.
    Education Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 08:31 PM
    By giving her my name and saying I'm the one that did told her.
    Didn't you have permission to pick up the prescription?

Apr 10, 2013, 08:33 PM
    Didn't you have permission to pick up the prescription?
    Yes cause my mother won't leave the house she is bad! I trying to save her life not make it worse! Now all it did was piss her off and hate me! I just didn't know if this was anything wrong with what pharmacist did.
    Education Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 08:36 PM
    Yes cause my mother won't leave the house she is bad! I trying to save her life not make it worse!! Now all it did was piss her off and hate me! I just didn know if this was anything wrong with what pharmacist did.
    My thought is that since she gave you permission, and I assume you signed for the prescription, there was no violation because the pharmacist mentioned your name.

Apr 10, 2013, 08:39 PM
    My thought is that since she gave you permission, and I assume you signed for the prescription, there was no violation because the pharmacist mentioned your name.
    Ok thank u
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 11, 2013, 01:12 AM
    It isn't a HIPAA violation, but why on earth would you want to claim one anyway? You were concerned for your mother and so was the pharmacist. The fact that your mother is mad at you is between you and your mother. Tell her that concern goes hand in hand with the help she is getting from both of you. Caregivers are going to be concerned! And you should be grateful to the pharmacist.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2013, 02:24 AM
    No it was not a violation, but I could see them mad you told him about illegal drugs
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2013, 03:09 AM
    Your mother needed to tell her doctor about any other medication she is on so the doctor didn't prescribe meds that might have dangerous interaction.

It is the pharmacist's job to double check these things. And talk to the patient. The pharmacist might have been liable for malpractice had they not talked to your mother. And how else is the pharmacist going to convey how they knew?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you a company for violating my privacy rights? [ 3 Answers ]

The boss told other employees about my personal records.

How is a stress claim investigated without violating an individual's privacy? [ 3 Answers ]

How is a stress claim investigated without violating an individual's privacy?

Can I sue agencies for violating my privacy rights [ 7 Answers ]

I feel my son and my privacy rights have been violated by a few agencies. I got out of a domestic violence situation and went to stay at a local women's shelter. The shelter stated that everything was private and confidential and no one would know we were residing there, a few days later my son's...

Landlord violating privacy - What to do? [ 3 Answers ]

It has come to my attention that another tenant above me who has done nothing but complain for the past month about my "noise" when they stomp around and make all kinds of commotion, is now saying that he knows I'm "getting evicted" It completely blew my mind, because for one I'm not getting...

Prescription labels violating privacy [ 1 Answers ]

My doctor had my diagnosis placed on the label of my medication. Is this a violation of my rights? The diagnosis is sensitive in nature.

View more questions Search