Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12Aiwg34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2013, 09:09 AM
    How do I repair an non-functioning light socket on my ceiling fan?
    I have a Hampton Bay, San Marino, 36" ceiling fan--UL Model No.: EF200-36; UPC: 082392 683535 (Bru. Steel). The light kit uses E-17 Intermediate base bulbs (60 W).

One of the three light sockets in the light kit is no longer functional. What is the simplest way to repair this? Do I need to purchase a whole new light kit? Do they still make this version? (It looks like the version in the local Home Depot may use different sized bulbs than ours.)

Or, is this something an electrician can fix by simply replacing the socket?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2013, 10:05 AM
    If the wires are securely attached, then the socket is bad and needs to be replaced. This is a fairly easy job and should take no more then 15minutes.

Be sure to turn power off before working on it.

Chuck
    CoolPeter Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2013, 11:19 AM
    I would suggest you to not do it yourself alone if you have never done it before. Call an electrician, it would not take more than a few minutes. If you have experience then yes, you can do it even if the model is outdated because other similar models are still available.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2013, 01:28 PM
    HD and Lowe's have a lot of light kits, reasonable priced. I would look there and then go for a repair. Having an electrician over would cost you the price of a new fan.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 9, 2013, 02:50 PM
    There are few easy things to try.

1) If you have a volt meter, set the meter for any value greater than 120 Vac. With the switch set to off, connect the black probe to the shell of the socket. Turn the switch on and touch the red probe to the inside base of the lamp. Does your meter read 120 Vac (+/- 10%)

2) If the voltage is correct, turn the breaker off an see if you can pull the tab at the base of the socket up.

The base might just have been pushed down to far and is no longer making contact with the base of the blub.
    diwalton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2013, 09:00 AM
    I'd like to change a kitchen ceiling light from a switch operation to a pull chain operation. Is this possible?
    Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2013, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by diwalton View Post
    I'd like to change a kitchen ceiling light from a switch operation to a pull chain operation. Is this possible?
    Thanks
    If it the only light in the kitchen, no. You must be able light a room before entering -NEC. If other lights exist and this is separate, yes. Install the switch between the hot lead from the switch and the light black. You will need to leave the switch in the on position.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help for Broken Light Socket in Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

The light in my ceiling fan has stopped working and I know the problem isn't the bulb or the power source (the fan works). Perhaps a wire is loose. I'm not capable of fixing myself. Is this a job or an electrician or could a handyman likely take care of it. Thanks!

Need socket for a harbor breeze ceiling fan light [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need to special order a replacement socket or can I get one from my local hardware store?

How to change broken light socket on ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

How do you change a broken light socket on a ceiling fan

Ceiling fan light repair [ 4 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with a light kit. The fan still works fine. It looked like the pull chain switch was bad and I replaced it. The light still does not work. I bypassed the switch and wired directly and the light still does not work. What can I do? OWen

Install ceiling fan light socket and fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

I removed broken light switch pull chain only to find out light socket was also bad. Removed light socket and tried to replace. The old light socket had a wire in addition to the standard black and white. Can I use the standard light socket or do I need to find this socket with third wire? I hooked...

View more questions Search