Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kendra_20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2013, 09:17 PM
    If the guy I get in a accident has no licence who is covered?
    I just got in my first ever car accident while I was driving! Before anyone freaks out, I’m fine. But yes, it turns out to be my fault! I had just dropped off my boyfriend at Thomas College and was heading to see a friend of mine. As I approach the road to get to her house I notice the light is green for me to turn. I see a car on the other side in the lane to go strait. The car isn't moving so I assumed I was safe to turn, thinking his light was red and I had the right of way. I begin to turn onto the street, everything is fine, almost there, and the other car starts to come at me! Fast! He hits me on the right side of my car by my tire! I stopped; he backed up, drove down the road a little and pulled over. We called the cops, found out the guy DIDN'T have a license to drive and was driving his girlfriend’s car WITHOUT permition. Gets fined, NOT arrested! Cop says my insurance will pay for their car and I get nothing. I was supposed to yield; he had the right of way. I HAVE A LICENSE AND WAS GOING BEFORE HE DID! He should be in jail; my car should be fixed by his girlfriend’s insurance! What can I do? Im 20, I live alone, I have only liability... I didn't get ticketed and they sighned saying no court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2013, 09:26 PM
    Sorry, if you were at fault, your insurance will pay for the accident. His legal or illegal status to drive does not change who is at fault, he will of course get a fine for driving without a license.

Also how do you know he did not have permission to drive, if they were living together and he has keys or access to keys, there is an assumed permission, most likely he said he did not have permission to keep her from getting into trouble for letting him drive

But his status of license does not have any effect on this.

Also no, they do not put people in jail for driving without a license, they fine them, he should not have been allowed to drive away from the wreck, if the car was drivable, they call someone else to drive it away. Or tow it.
    kendra_20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2013, 09:31 PM
    We were both towed but he did back up and drive a head then pulled over when I couldn't even move my car a inch! And I over heard the girlfriend telling the cop that he did not have permittion to drive.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 8, 2013, 05:23 PM
    kendra_20... As I approach the road to get to her house I notice the light is green for me to turn. I see a car on the other side in the lane to go strait. The car isn't moving so I assumed I was safe to turn, thinking his light was red and I had the right of way. I begin to turn onto the street ...
    If I am correctly understanding your story, it appears to me that he was at fault.

This is what I am understanding from your account:
    You approached a 4-way intersection. You desired to turn, Since you were hit on the right side, I assume you were turning to the left (crossing in front of the other vehicle). But your light was green; giving you the right of way.
    Am I mis-reading anything? Was it a green arrow, or solid green?

Put in a claim with her insurance company for the damage to your car. Their adjuster will sort it out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 8, 2013, 06:41 PM
    First, if you only have liability, then repairs to your car will not be covered. You are going to have to sue him and his girlfriend to get your car repaired.

So you are going to have to show it was his fault. Where did he hit you? By the front or rear tire?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get a quebec driver's licence if I have a suspended licence in ontario? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to transfer my ontario licence driving record to quebec so as to get my licence. My ontario licence was suspended 10 years ago and later expired. Will this prevent me from transferring my driving experience and getting a licence in quebec?

Car accident; Did NOT call police... the guy isn't paying like he promised... [ 10 Answers ]

So 2 months ago, in the beginning of August, I bought my new SUV. Within a month, some friend I knew hit my car in a parking lot while backing out of his parking space too quickly, and another one of our friends witnessed this. This friend of mine (who hit my car) is only 17 years old, and was...

Car accident, insuranced car with non-covered driver, other driver injured, suing... [ 2 Answers ]

I got into a car accident in a intersection with stop sign on my side. I stopped at the stop sign, checked left and right and then tried to pass the avenue but unluckily got hit by another female driver. My car (my girlfriend's actually) turned 180 degrees the opposite side after the accident. I...

I had accident last month.It was other guy's fault.no police report.he says my fault [ 13 Answers ]

I had accident last month.It was other guy's fault. He admitted it. So I didn't call the police & no police report. After filing the claim with his insurance company, he has said that it was my fault. So his insurance company denied my claim. They say that they denied the claim because there is no...

Building a covered deck above a covered front porch [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to improve the curb appeal and usefulness of our hangar home. We are planning to have a deck built above the covered front porch, and will replace the double windows (the set on the left on the 2nd floor in the front view) with French doors. Because this faces south and we are in...

View more questions Search