Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2013, 11:50 AM
    Property laws in Florida deceased surviving heirs
    Do children have claims to property in Florida when a parent died and left a surviving spouse who is not on the deed?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 7, 2013, 12:31 PM
    A will takes precedence over state law.
    If no will ('intestate')
    The share of the surviving spouse is:
    (1) If there is no surviving descendant of the decedent, the entire intestate estate.
    (2) If the decedent is survived by one or more descendants, all of whom are also descendants of the surviving spouse, and the surviving spouse has no other descendant, the entire intestate estate.
    (3) If there are one or more surviving descendants of the decedent who are not lineal descendants of the surviving spouse, one-half of the intestate estate.
    (4) If there are one or more surviving descendants of the decedent, all of whom are also descendants of the surviving spouse, and the surviving spouse has one or more descendants who are not descendants of the decedent, one-half of the intestate estate.

Read that carefully because it sounds counterintutive at first, and some of it is recent law.

If your father left no will, and his spouse is not your mother, and you are entitled to half, and have questions about what happens if she wants to continue to live there, answer below.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 7, 2013, 12:40 PM
    Was there a will? If not, the estate is divided according to FL law.

Florida Inheritance Laws: No Will
    current pert

Apr 7, 2013, 01:01 PM
    ScottGem, my research indicates that the law changed in 2011, and your site was written in 2009.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 7, 2013, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    ScottGem, my research indicates that the law changed in 2011, and your site was written in 2009.
    Ooops Did you forget a link?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 7, 2013, 03:47 PM
    A will takes precedence over state law.
    If no will ('intestate')
    The share of the surviving spouse is:
    (1) If there is no surviving descendant of the decedent, the entire intestate estate.
    (2) If the decedent is survived by one or more descendants, all of whom are also descendants of the surviving spouse, and the surviving spouse has no other descendant, the entire intestate estate.
    (3) If there are one or more surviving descendants of the decedent who are not lineal descendants of the surviving spouse, one-half of the intestate estate.
    (4) If there are one or more surviving descendants of the decedent, all of whom are also descendants of the surviving spouse, and the surviving spouse has one or more descendants who are not descendants of the decedent, one-half of the intestate estate.

Appears to be the same as current law, except for the addition of the word "intestate" (underlined by me):
    "732.102 Spouse’s share of intestate estate.—The intestate share of the surviving spouse is:

1(2) If the decedent is survived by one or more descendants, all of whom are also descendants of the surviving spouse, and the surviving spouse has no other descendant, the entire intestate estate.

1(3) If there are one or more surviving descendants of the decedent who are not lineal descendants of the surviving spouse, one-half of the intestate estate.

1(4) If there are one or more surviving descendants of the decedent, all of whom are also descendants of the surviving spouse, and the surviving spouse has one or more descendants who are not descendants of the decedent, one-half of the intestate estate." http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/732.102

I don't see that the change makes any difference.

Bottom line is that the widow gets half and her step-children get the other half.
    current pert

Apr 7, 2013, 04:34 PM
    I would have gone back to copy the link but my 4 year old Dell Inspiron notebook dies (overheats?) about every 15 minutes lately, and I have given up on all attempts to keep it clean and cool. So am about to buy a Chromebook I think...
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 7, 2013, 05:32 PM
    I would have gone back to copy the link but my 4 year old Dell Inspiron notebook dies (overheats?) about every 15 minutes lately, and I have given up on all attempts to keep it clean and cool. So am about to buy a Chromebook I think...
    Get a new fan for it. Lots cheaper.

Or, even better, open it up and clean the dust out of the fan.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2013, 10:11 PM
    And to clarify what is being said, this is not property law but probate law as to who will get property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heirs property [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all... I hope someone can help me here! About 15-17 years ago my mom received a letter from an attorney office asking for her to donate her portion of heirs property to her aunt. My mom at the time worked for the DA and he said; no, pay no attention because the "threats" mean nothing. My aunt...

Mom's property held jointly by 3 surviving sons [ 12 Answers ]

The ex-wife of one of my brothers has placed a judgement lien on the property and we are trying to settle with her. She won't get the entire amount owed to her by receiving one third of the proceeds after paying off first mortgage. How do my one brother and I assure that the woman releases the...

Property transfer to surviving children [ 2 Answers ]

A friend transferred ownership of her home to her two sons approximately 3 years prior to her death. A third son, having 2 adult children, passed away more than 15 years ago and prior to the transfer. Do the deceased son's children have any legal claim to the money from the sale of this property?

Finding property heirs [ 4 Answers ]

We live in a very samll town in Iowa. In 1899 a family from New York donated land to the town for a school, town hall, or city park in return that the town be named after them. The deed for the property states that if the land is not used for the purposes of school, town hall or park the land...

CA Probate, Deceased Heirs [ 1 Answers ]

I am ready to close a probate estate in California, but several of the heirs who are to receive money have died during the administration of the estate. Neither had ever been married or had children, and neither had any other estate assets other than this inheritance. Both lived in other states. ...

View more questions Search