Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colorblind Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2013, 07:50 PM
    Lost my Dad and I Need ideas to struggle through it
    I lost my Dad 3 days back. I have a younger brother (25) and Mom with me. Until yesterday night, I spoke with brother, I realized the emotional support they both need. He is a tough guy but was emotionally close to my dad, now he is kind of broken and same is for my Mom. I am located in other state professionally. I am strong and tactful enough but a little confused to make it effective to my family. I WANT to balance my professional and family life. After a couple of months I am going to join a new job that might be within or outside my state. I am in the mid of my research thesis. Some ideas and strategies from you might help me and some other people like me struggling with this situation. Thank you for your time.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Apr 6, 2013, 08:00 PM
    Find a grief support group in your area. It can be very comforting and helpful to speak with others who are also suffering from a loss.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 7, 2013, 01:26 AM
    Give yourself much more time to really grieve. I would guess that your school would give you a leave of absence to go to your mother and brother. A professor who is your advisor? Surely if you are at the thesis stage you can postpone it.

I worry about people who don't take time off, because then guilt takes over, and any time something happens to your mother or brother you will blame yourself for not spending some time with them. Don't try to suppress grief. 'Good' grief heals.
    AtLarge Posts: 27, Reputation: 5

Apr 7, 2013, 08:40 AM
    What was said below is very true. Remember, death is as much a part of life as birth. I have found that taking time to reflect on that relationship and savor the good memories is healing. Try not to fall into the trap of having regrets. None of us are perfect and it would seem that there was a lot of love there. Focus on that and carry that forward with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lost my dad... [ 6 Answers ]

I just lost my dad December 26, 2011. This is an extremely hard thing for me to get through. He had been in the hospital since the 9th of December for strep pneumonia. His right lung collapsed then his left, they inserted chest tubes to help get rid of the fluid.. That's all they could do. He was...

Lost power to breaker sub panel dedicated to my hottub - now 20F outside - ideas? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a novice with electricity. I unplugged what I believe was an open circuit (shotty wiring). Plugged it back in an everything returns to normal after resetting breakers. However, I switched off the subpanel (professionally wired for the hottub, microwave and NW dining room) and then, when I...

Lost dad and even more lost daughter. [ 4 Answers ]

Someone please help? I have a 22 year old daughter who last year at this time received a DUI after a nights full of partying. This happened one week before her 21st surprise birthday party. Which of course did not happen due to the fact her DUI violation was issued after she rolled her friends car...

10 year old girl - chores struggle - attitude - step dad. [ 2 Answers ]

Seems to be these pre teen years are quite a struggle. I try to pick my battles, create a positive environment etc. My daughter is 10 going on 17. We struggle about doing chores and mostly her attitude and tone. I try to implement structure and routine. I've always parented her in a friends first...

Unique 50th Birthday Party Ideas For My Dad [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I am looking for unique ideas for a 50th birthday party for my dad. I would like to do something different, special for him. Does anyone have a unique idea? Thank you!

View more questions Search