Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dilek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 10:15 PM
    Foreclosure on the Second/Rental property
    Hi my name is Dilek,
    I was wondering if anyone knows or experienced about foreclosures. We cannot keep up paying our mortgage payments in our second property that was our primary residence until we bought a house thinking that we will make money by keeping the condo as rental, but we cannot rent it higher than what it is now, and it is not enough to make our mortgage payments, we spend $1000 extra every month. Now we decided to let it go, basically foreclosure, maybe we might be able to do short sale, we are in the process of putting in the market, but we really cannot make any more payments, so we will see if we get any offers to submit to the bank.
    If we get to the foreclosre, does the lender go after our primary residence? Rental property loan is under my name, but primary is under my husband, does foreclosure show up only in my credit? Are there any companies outthere help with credit fixes for these type of issues?
    Thanks bunch
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2012, 03:30 PM
    The answers to your questions depend on the state you live in, as states have different laws regarding this topic. Generally speaking, it is possible for a bank to put a lien on your first home. Any amount left after the second home is sold could be looked at as an unsecured debt, and the bank could go after you to pay off that debt.

A short sale is a possibility, as is trying to release your obligation to pay the remainder of your mortgage by using Bankruptcy to discharge the remainder after sale.

As far as credit reports, all of this negative reporting will stay on your credit report for up to ten years. That includes foreclosure, late payments, bankruptcies, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure Property [ 1 Answers ]

How can I acquire foreclosure property with no money down.

Rental property rights [ 3 Answers ]

I have lived in the same apartment for over a year. When I moved in some of my lights didn't work and some of them also had wires hanging out. My landlord said he would have it fixed shortly for me. Well it still has not been done. Between that and the mold growing under the sink and around the...

Rental property Regi [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to get a few opinions regarding refinancing a rental property and the closing costs associated with it. I wanted to clarify what I read in the pub 527. What closing costs can you depreciate and capitalize over the life of the loan? I know that you can deduct points or loan...

Foreclosure on rental home [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a rental home and I received a notice from a lawyer that the house is being forclosed on and that there are 8 claims against my landlord. I just paid rent for this month and am pretty sure that the landlord is not going to give me back my deposit. I moved in 2 months ago and have paid...

Deeding back property/foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I purchased a condo 1yr ago and recently had a disaster clean up crew in due to extreme flooding from cracks in the foundations and raingutters in stalled in correctly etc. The basement is destroyed , l lost 1100 sq ft carpenting ,paneling . Est. to repair $20.000 + Condo assoc....

View more questions Search