Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garboozle Posts: 139, Reputation: -5

Apr 4, 2013, 03:13 PM
    How to fight a camera citation
    I get this letter in the mail, with a picture of my car and license plate. They say I was going over ten miles over the speed limit and they deserve 100$ out of me. This is an outrage. Has anybody ever successfully defended themselves from this extortion tactic? What makes this all the more ludicrous is the fact that there is another vehicle RIGHT BESIDE MINE in the other lane in the picture, so it obviously could have been the other driver.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2013, 03:50 PM
    Hmm, I've never heard of a camera used for speeding violations. Red light violations yes.

So you may be able to fight it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2013, 12:58 PM
    Photo radar is very common where I live. The cops sit on the side of the road, the photo radar camera takes pictures of the cars that are speeding. It's actually very legit. If the car next to you was also speeding, it too would have gotten a ticket in the mail.

I haven't heard of anyone being able to fight it, but you could try. Where I live these tickets don't cause demerits on your license, since they can't determine who is actually driving the car. The ticket goes to the owner of the vehicle, who is responsible for paying it, but will not get dinged on his license for demerits. But it may not be the same where you live.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2013, 01:58 PM
    I've heard of the "speed cameras." I also know people fight the ticket, just like they fight other tickets. The ticket should explain how to file your response.

The cameras are very specific. You are saying you were driving at a slower rate of speed, a car passed you and the camera caught that car's speed and your license plate? It's impossible - read how the cameras work.

Extortion? The Courts are going to ask why you are the victim of extortion and others are not, why the Police picked you out. Do you drive a particularly expensive car?

Are you aware that with speed cameras if someone else is driving the ticket is still yours? "Extortion" is an inflammatory word, which you will discover if you throw it around in Court.

http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/p.../speed/faq.asp
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2013, 02:05 PM
    I have to say, I'm a bit shocked that Scott didn't know what photo radar was, and Judy, you've only heard of them. In Canada they've been using these cameras for over 13 years. I only know that because my Dad got a photo radar ticket, and he's been dead since 2001.

I've gotten a few, so has my husband. I do know my husband tried to fight one of them, he was speeding, but it was the day of my fathers funeral, we were running late, he sped, he got caught. He thought the court may have some sympathy because of the circumstances, but they didn't. He had to pay the full $250 fine.
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2013, 02:35 PM
    I say I've only heard of them because I've never gotten one.

There are lots of things I've heard of but never experienced.

The Police had a photo of your Dad's plate and couldn't track the current owner... or something else? I got a parking ticket for NYC, my license plate, different car - DMV "apparently" made an error.
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2013, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I say I've only heard of them because I've never gotten one.

There are lots of things I've heard of but never experienced.

The Police had a photo of your Dad's plate and couldn't track the current owner ... or something else? I got a parking ticket for NYC, my license plate, different car - DMV "apparently" made an error.
    No no, my dad got a photo radar ticket when he was still alive, long before 2001. I was trying to show that Canada has been using photo radar for a long time. Dad definitely got the ticket. Actually, it's a funny memory. Hubby and I went over for dinner, my dad passed hubby the envelope with the ticket in it, unopened. He asked if hubby knew what it was.

Hubby said he didn't, and asked if he could open it. My dad said sure. So hubby opened it, read it and said "OMG! You got a photo radar ticket! How fast were you going that they'd charge you $300!?"

My dad flipped out. The joke was that the ticket was only for $60. :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 9, 2013, 03:25 PM
    I've had I think 3 tickets in my 50 years of driving. I paid one by mail and fought 2. Fighting was worth it for me. None were photo tickets.

BUT you have to know how, and it isn't fighting, it's pleading, and you don't do it by saying what you said here. You would be laughed right over to the check writing table.

Apr 9, 2013, 03:26 PM
    Yeah, this is a pretty open and shut case. I've tried to look up a loophole and failed. Thanks for answering though guys. Where I live it's the same as where you live Alty, no points will go on my driving record so it will remain flawless lol. The ticket is 100$ which would be money much better spent on my girlfriend.

@Judy, this is extortion. There is no two ways around it. They took a picture of my car and are now demanding I pay 100 dollars or I lose my license. I was never pulled over and never consulted by an officer.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 9, 2013, 03:33 PM
    Look up the definition of extortion.
    They didn't just take a picture; they caught your car on radar. Radar guns are able to zero in on one car.

Are you saying that everyone should be able to go over the speed limit? Just you? Just people who don't see a cop car around?
    Each time I was caught speeding I knew I was breaking the law.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 9, 2013, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by garboozle View Post
    Yeah, this is a pretty open and shut case. I've tried to look up a loophole and failed. Thanks for answering though guys. Where I live it's the same as where you live Alty, no points will go on my driving record so it will remain flawless lol. The ticket is 100$ which would be money much better spent on my girlfriend.
    Yes, yes... Bring the Pay-As-You-Go "girlfriend" into this post.

@Judy, this is extortion. There is no two ways around it. They took a picture of my car and are now demanding I pay 100 dollars or I lose my license. I was never pulled over and never consulted by an officer.
    So if you had been stopped and "consulted" by the police, it would have been somehow different?

Apr 9, 2013, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Look up the definition of extortion.
    They didn't just take a picture; they caught your car on radar. Radar guns are able to zero in on one car.

Are you saying that everyone should be able to go over the speed limit? Just you? Just people who don't see a cop car around?
    Each time I was caught speeding I knew I was breaking the law.
    Extortion- the practice of obtaining something, esp. money, through force or threats.

I am being forced to pay 100$ of my hard earned money because this village has no other means of tax revenue other than extorting motorist passing by.

YES, if there are no cops around you should be able to speed. It's not as if me going 45 miles an hour down that road that day caused harm to somebody. What's next random drug tests for average citizens too?
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2013, 03:41 PM
    You can try to fight it, or you can pay it and chalk it up to a lesson learned, that speeding will eventually lead to a ticket.

Either way, the choice is yours, and you're the one that has to make it. Go to court, or pay. Frankly I think it would be cheaper to just pay it, and ease off the gas pedal when you're driving.

Good luck.

Apr 9, 2013, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    You can try to fight it, or you can pay it and chalk it up to a lesson learned, that speeding will eventually lead to a ticket.

Either way, the choice is yours, and you're the one that has to make it. Go to court, or pay. Frankly I think it would be cheaper to just pay it, and ease off of the gas pedal when you're driving.

Good luck.
    Seriously though, that money would be much better spent on her. At least with a cop involved I'm actually being caught by a person rather than a robo-cop.

Yeah, I've sucked it up that I'm just going to have to pay it, what's done is done. Thanks for the wishes of good luck, may the force be with you.
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2013, 03:50 PM
    Extortion- the practice of obtaining something, esp. money, through force or threats.

I am being forced to pay 100$ of my hard earned money because this village has no other means of tax revenue other than extorting motorist passing by.

YES, if there are no cops around you should be able to speed. It's not as if me going 45 miles an hour down that road that day caused harm to somebody. What's next random drug tests for average citizens too?
    You really have no common sense at all, do you?

You think that if no cops are around you should be able to speed, but if you speed and get caught by the cops, it's extortion?

Speeding is against the law. Do you realize that? If you break the law, you pay the price. You broke the law, and you were caught, so now you have to pay. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

It's not extortion, it's the cost of speeding, and every person that lives where you lives, has to follow the same laws. You're no exception. You do the crime, you do the time, or pay the fine.

This thread should be closed, the OP received valuable advice, but it's clear that he has no concept of right and wrong, and no common sense IMO.
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2013, 03:51 PM
    "@Judy, this is extortion. There is no two ways around it. They took a picture of my car and are now demanding I pay 100 dollars or I lose my license. I was never pulled over and never consulted by an officer."

I work in the legal system. You, presumably, do not. So - if this had been a radar stop in your mind the fine would not be extortion?

I've never had a Police Officer consult me before writing a ticket - for that matter, I worked for Homeland Security and never consulted with anyone before detaining him/her.

I don't agree that the money would have been better spent on the Rent-A-Center girlfriend.
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2013, 03:51 PM
    Seriously though, that money would be much better spent on her. At least with a cop involved I'm actually being caught by a person rather than a robo-cop.

Yeah, I've sucked it up that I'm just going to have to pay it, what's done is done. Thanks for the wishes of good luck, may the force be with you.
    Her who? You quoted my post, and I never mentioned any "her", nor do I care about any "her", or what you spend your money on.

A cop was involved. Who do you think operates the camera?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 9, 2013, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Her who? You quoted my post, and I never mentioned any "her", nor do I care about any "her", or what you spend your money on.

A cop was involved. Who do you think operates the camera?
    A private entity operates the camera. They lease it for a fee to the city / state. They make a ton of money off it.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 9, 2013, 04:02 PM

I have news for you... if you had been pulled over by a live cop, you still would be "forced to pay".
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 9, 2013, 04:07 PM
    It's called a speed LIMIT for a reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm 11 years Old Should I buy a bridge dslr camera or a small compact camera? [ 2 Answers ]

I do have experience with a dslr camera

Analog camera lenses for digital camera body? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6006 Nikon with four lenses (Macro, tele, PC, and 35-89mm. I'm thinking about buying a Nikon D3100, digital camera. Can I use my Nikon 6006 lenses on the Nikon D3100 body?

Fight or plead "No Contest" to this Failure to Yield citation? [ 10 Answers ]

I was in an intersection preparing to turn left. Oncoming traffic had three lanes: a left turning lane (which I was facing), a middle lane, and an outside lane. The light turned yellow and the two inner lanes of cars came to a stop. One car (an SUV) in the outer lane was slowing down, so I prepared...

Recommend a nanny camera or hidden camera system [ 5 Answers ]

I am hiring a live-in nanny and like any paranoid but responsible parent I want nanny cams. Can anyone recommend a company or system for me asap. I want hidden cameras. I would like to be able to view my house while traveling via internet. Also I want to record all activity in the house. Please...

View more questions Search