Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annmarierrr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 12:55 PM
    Can the child of a disabled person get ssi benefits
    My son is not disabled but his father receives SSI because he is disabled after a motorcycle accident in March/2010. He owes $25,000 in back child support. My question is, Is my son eligible to receive any benefits?

My email is: >removed<
    jones81 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2013, 02:47 PM
    Yes your son should get his child support taken out the lump sum and monthly payments. My friend got 7,000 taken away from his and his kids monthly payments. Call social security
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

May 21, 2013, 04:19 PM
    What "lump sum"? There is no "lump sum" with SSI. There is with SSD if your claim takes a long time to process.

If you work, your son probably cannot quailfy. If the income of the household is over the poverty level(almost $700 a month) you will not get it.

Why isn't the father collecting Social Security Disability? SSI is only supposed to be temporary. If he were to collect SSD, then petition the family court for some adjustment in support so he doesn't starve and your son gets some money. Remember Child Support is just that CHILD SUPPORT!@!
    jones81 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2013, 04:28 PM
    That's not true my nephew dad get ssi and his son gets money how don't know. If your Child dad get a lump sum from waiting you can get it and that's from experience.

I know too many people well 3 who does so I'm sorry handyman you're wrong thus time around.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

May 21, 2013, 05:14 PM
    There IS NO lump sum payment in SSI. Only in SSD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ssi benefits for children of disabled parents [ 1 Answers ]

My sons going to be 18 if he lives at home and goes to collage does the beneifits still stop

Do children receive SSI benefits for a disabled parent? [ 29 Answers ]

Do children that have a disabled parent that receives SSI benefits only receive a check themselves if they are under 18 years old? I have heard that if the parent was under a certain poverty level that the children would receive a check also. Is there any truth to this?

SSI Benefits and Child Support for Disabled Adult Child [ 3 Answers ]

I am the father of a 19 year old disabled daughter (learning disabilities). Her mother has been collecting child support for the past 14 years, but our CA Court Order ends child supoort at age 19. Her mother is now in the porcess of taking me back to court to continue the Adult with Disabilities...

View more questions Search