Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ukarican Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 10:26 AM
    Life estate
    My aunt was primary owner of our family house and under her came me then her brother. Another brother was granted life estate. Now my aunt passed and I took over the maintence for the house. If I were to buy her brother out of his share, what happens to her brother with the life estate? Can I make him leave or be responsible to share-bills. Can I even sell?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2013, 10:31 AM
    A life estate affords the holder the right to live in the property as long as they live. You can certainly buy out the other part owner(s). But the life state will remain.

You can sell but subject to the life estate.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 5, 2013, 04:49 PM
    Ukarican, you are not making a lot of sense.

The aunt was "primary owner"? In other words, she owned it, subject to the life estate (she having a remainder interest after the death of the life tenant)?

And what do you mean by "under her"? Did she leave it to you and her brother (your uncle or father)? Was her estate admitted to probate? Or was there some sort of a trust or joint tenancy, with regard to the remainder?

I don't understand why you took over the maintenance of the home. Normally, that would be up to the life tenant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life estate [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has power of attorney over his brother who is mentally challenged and physically handicapped. We live in the house that his brother has lived in for 60 years and take care of him. The house is deeded to my husband and his son. His son doesn't want anything to do with the house and wants...

Life estate [ 0 Answers ]

OK guys Got to another question for you experts out there. I was asked this question and could not answer it. If a house is gifted to someone with living rights and the person who is gifting it to them has to go to a nursing home,doesn't the house have to be sold to pay for nursing home care?...

Life Estate [ 0 Answers ]

I am the remainder of my parents home. My Mother is the Life Estate Holder, She is in a nursing home and there is a good chance she will not be coming home. Does she have the rights to stop me from moving into the house? Currently the house has been put up for taxes and I need to move into the...

Life Estate [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has a life estate. I would like to have her siblings release their interest in the property to me. How do I do that?

View more questions Search