Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluesinsky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 08:29 PM
    How many terminals needed for Fluorescent dimmer
    I am a mechanical engineer and going to design a electrical fluorescent dimmer. The problems what I need to know are
    1) how many terminals needed? I know 3 terminals for dimmer power input (L, N, E) but don't know how many terminals for ballast (the ballast is still required for this dimmer) and fluorescent light.
    2) What is "Dry contact"? The output of this dimmer required to be Dry contact. I don't understand this.

Can someone help on this?
    Thanks very much.
    BTA Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Apr 17, 2007, 12:22 PM
    1) This depends entirely on your fixture. Is it 115V? 208V? 347V? (Yes, for my American friends, 347V is used here in Canada). The voltage, and # of phases in particular, will determine how many 'terminals' are needed.

2) A dry contact is a device that is controlled by either a relay, or electronically, to open or close a circuit based on logical algorithms. A typical application is to control high voltage circuits via low voltage switches/circuits. Another is in PLC control panels.

I'm interested in how you intend on making a dimmer for a fluorescent fixture. I'm not a lighting expert, but I'm under the impression that fluorescents (much like MH or HPS) require a certain minimum voltage to maintain the ionization process which produces light. Ballasts are devices which are there for the sole purpose of maintaining the proper voltage to the fixture. So when you say you're going to have a device (that still requires a ballast) to will act as a dimmer (which typically involves altering the voltage waveform getting through to the fixture) I'm slightly intrigued.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Apr 19, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesinsky
    I am a mechanical engineer and going to design a electrical fluorescent dimmer. The problems what I need to know are
    1) how many terminals needed? I know 3 terminals for dimmer power input (L, N, E) but don't know how many terminals for ballast (the ballast is still required for this dimmer) and fluorescent light.
    2) What is "Dry contact"? The output of this dimmer required to be Dry contact. I don't understand this.

Can someone help on this?
    Thanks very much.
    regular ballast is not dimable, check this out at Lutron
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 06:38 PM
    They make dimmable CFL's that work with regular 2 contact dimmers. Might reverse engineer and scale up one of them.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 06:16 AM
    We have used 3 wire dimming ballast for years, the dimmer also has 3 wires, the 3rd wire was brown, Later a company produced "Mark" or "Mark 5" that had 2 wire dimming ballast, these were both for 8' flourescen fixtures, and others.
    Currently dimming the CFL's is done.
    You won't be solving a problem, but you may come up with a different way to dim.
    I would give good thought how you would do it, then research methods and techniques used, then design. You may come up with more efficient way. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Fluorescent Light bulbs and their use [ 9 Answers ]

I’m sure this has been asked … but I am looking at these 13Watt replacement bulbs that are 60 Watt replacements. Now, I have light fixtures in my house, which are all labeled with Use 60 Watt Maximum. Can I use a higher Fluorescent (and hence get more Light Output) into some of my darker...

Hanging Fluorescent lights [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased (6) 4'x1' t8 fluorescent lights for an unfinished storage room. My questions is am I best installing these lights directly parallel to the floor joists, or perpendicular to the joists. In my particular application I would prefer to hang the lights parallel to the joists. My...

Fluorescent dimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard that dimmer switches should not be used with fluorescent lights (kitchen). True or not? I haven't found anything in the books that I have. Are there dimmer switches made just for fluorescents? Thanks for the help. Jersey

Replacing Aquarium Fluorescent Bulb? [ 1 Answers ]

I know that over time the power spectrum of a fluorescent light changes. You start to lose the shorter wavelengths (UV, blue) as the phosphors wear out. I also know that plants need those shorter wavelengths to be happy in an aquarium. So, my question is, how often should I replace the...

Compact Fluorescent Spring Lamps [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I've noticed that certain brands of compact fluorescent light bulbs (sometimes called "spring lamps" because of the way the bulb is shaped) will light up immediately upon flipping the switch (like a regular incandescent bulb), while others, such as GE, will have a noticeable "lag time"...

View more questions Search