Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Prat Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 01:35 AM
    Tax treaty benefit and Adjusted gross income for state tax returns
    Hi, I have a confusion/query regarding my state tax return forms, I'm filing it for the first time.

I took the tax treaty benefit while filing my federal tax returns (I used glacier tax prep) and so my adjusted gross income is coming out to be zero and total income exempt by treaty is showing my total income. Is that correct? So in my state tax return form should I just put a zero as well for adjusted gross income?

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 09:23 AM
    MOST states do NOT honor tax treaty exemptions, so you need to re-do the state without the treaty exemption.

BTW, which state are we talking about?

Apr 4, 2013, 10:30 AM
    Illinois.. I did the federal tax with exemption, but the information from federal returns goes in the state tax returns form IL-1040 as well, so what do I do? Amend my federal tax form ?

Apr 4, 2013, 11:26 AM
    If Illinois state does honor the tax treaty, how do I go about the state tax return forms? Enter the same amounts as in the federal tax returns and it should be okay?

Thanks!
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 11:56 AM
    Illinois does NOT honor the tax treaty.

Enter the tax data a second time on the tax software and do NOT do the tax treaty exemption, then efile JUST the Illinois return.

Apr 4, 2013, 12:04 PM
    All right thank you, your help is much appreciated!

Just one more thing, So my federal tax return form that I have already filed and mailed has different amounts due to the exemption and in the Illinois tax return form I'll be using different amounts i.e without the exemption. There won't be any issue due to different amounts in both the forms?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 12:09 PM
    I doubt it. If they DO ask, just tell them you were an international student and you applied a treaty exemption on the federal return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty Exempt Income on State Tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

According to tax treaty signed by the US, I have a $5000 exemption. Now I am filing as a non-resident in NY state but I have seen conflicting reports on the internet if I should quote all income on my State Tax form (and later take it out as federal adjustment) or deduct it altogether from the...

State Income Tax & State Disability Tax field on tax forms [ 3 Answers ]

With someone working out of state, is the "SIT/SDI state" field on a tax payroll form mean the state that the person is working in, or the state that he lives in?

Should CA state disability income be claimed on tax returns? [ 1 Answers ]

Must I claim CA State disability income on my federal and state income tax returns?

State tax on income with treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am a J-1 scholar from China starting from Sep. 2007. Under the US-China Treaty Article 19, I do not have to pay tax on part of my income. But I am filing my state tax in IL. Does the state tax this part of my income? Thank you very much! Kun

Tax refund and Treaty benefit [ 1 Answers ]

I am Indian research scholar on J1. I came to US in Aug 2005 and will be returning back to India in April 2007. I have been paying tax ever since I came here and my wife has been working since Jan 2006. She has also been paying her taxes. Does the tax treaty with India allow us to claim a full...

View more questions Search