Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MSAdvocate Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 01:02 AM
    My 10yr old son is so sick
    My 10yr old son presented on Sunday with a low grade fever, loss of appetite and very tired.. Monday his temp fluctuated between 102/103. He was dizzy, not hungry,chills and quick shallow breathing. Tuesday morning saw pediatrician temp was 103.2. tested negative for flu & strep. Given a 10 day RX for augmentin 1.5 tsp 2x a day and motrin & Tylenol throughout the day. Wednesday nosebleed occurred, dizzy, had his temp under control until 7pm when it went up to 100.1. I am call the doc this am to inform him of nosebleed, excessive sleepiness, loss of appetite,and just not himself. First thing that I thought of was meningitis, do the symptoms match what meningitis would present as with my sons situation? Should I be concerned?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 4, 2013, 02:48 AM
    Before you jump into the rare or serious, have you kept him warm and encouraged him to drink tons of weak warm liquids? He could be dehydrated! And I mean literally every half hour or so, at least half a cup.
    It is absolutely inappropriate for anyone online to start speculating about meningitis from a list of symptoms that could be anything.

Apr 4, 2013, 03:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Before you jump into the rare or serious, have you kept him warm and encouraged him to drink tons of weak warm liquids? He could be dehydrated! And I mean literally every half hour or so, at least half a cup.
    It is absolutely inappropriate for anyone online to start speculating about meneingitis from a list of symptoms that could be anything.
    I was simply asking for an opinion. There have been several cases of meneigitis in my area which why I asked.I will make sure not to ask a question here in this forum in the future.To answer the part re: hydration yes I have had him drinking propel, Gatorade and non caffeinated tea.
    Thank you anyway.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 03:38 AM
    Is there any neck stiffness or soreness when he tries to put his chin to his chest?
    current pert

Apr 4, 2013, 03:39 AM
    I apologize for jumping down your throat. Countless parents don't hydrate their feverish child, or themselves, clogging ERs during flu season and so on. And you didn't mention the meningitis outbreak.
    (I would be giving him more weak broth and juice and less sports drinks or teas, but I doubt that you want my opinion on this now.)

Apr 4, 2013, 03:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Is there any neck stiffness or soreness when he tries to put his chin to his chest?
    He noted his neck bothered him when the doc cultured for strep, but not since then but will ask him again when he wakes up.
    Thank you for your help and concern...

Apr 4, 2013, 03:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I apologize for jumping down your throat. Countless parents don't hydrate their feverish child, or themselves, clogging ERs during flu season and so on. And you didn't mention the meningitis outbreak.
    (I would be giving him more weak broth and juice and less sports drinks or teas, but I doubt that you want my opinion on this now.)
    Before jumping down someone's throat perhaps you could have inquired a bit nicer. I am a Mom concerned about her little boy asking for an opinion. I am a very conscientious Mom and take everything into account. My family only drinks water and we drink a lot of it. I simply ask before you label or group a parent in with "people who clog up ER's" delve a bit deeper.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 03:48 AM
    If there is an outbreak in your area it would benefit him to get more medical attention at once.

Apr 4, 2013, 03:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    If there is an outbreak in your area it would benefit him to get more medical attention at once.
    Calling the doc at 8am to have him seen again today, not taking any chances. Thank you again..
    current pert

Apr 4, 2013, 03:50 AM
    My apologies again. I got up on the wrong side this morning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sick son [ 2 Answers ]

My son complains of headache and soreness... no fever. He threw up his motrin. What could be wrong. (He's 6 yrs old) usually very active... has been laying around all evening.. even went to sleep early

My sick son [ 3 Answers ]

My suv is sick & had had a 4ever only at night for the past 10 nights he's fine during the day with only a runny nose& a little cough. I called a doctor line& paid but being we have no insurance... I don't know what else to do.

Worried Sick about custody/visitation of my son [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old son. His father and I also went through a very tumultuous relationship involving physical and emotional abuse. We haven't been "together" for almost 5 years, but were off and on (and that is how we ended up with our son). Anyway, I knew/suspected that he was engaged in illegal...

My son got sick [ 2 Answers ]

My little boy got really sick and threw up on the coutch and pillows. I tried to get it out with water and lysol but when it dried, everything got hard and it still smells. Could someone please tell me how to get it out? Thanks.

View more questions Search