Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    micmaclc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2013, 11:26 PM
    Can a defendant answer questions he witnessed at a plaintiffs deposition
    During the plaintiffs deposition, at his lawyers office, the defendant was present with his attorney, who was conducting the deposition. In civil court trial, can that defendant be compelled to testify as to what he heard at that deposition?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2013, 03:07 AM
    I'm confused. Why would someone ask the defendant to testify about the deposition when the deposition is a matter of court record?

Can you flesh this out by explaining why you ask and what questions you think the defendant would be asked?

Also, not that I moved this from Small Claims forum since small claims cases rarely involve depositions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 03:19 AM
    No, a defendant can not be made to testify at all.
    Ask your attorney, that is why you have one.

Next the other person is doing this under oath and being recorded, so what is being said, is just read into record.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2013, 07:04 AM
    I sit in on depositions all the time to compare statements with later statements. The depositions are sworn. No one needs to testify as to what he/she "heard" at a deposition.

What is the situation?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 07:11 AM
    As Judy said, the depositions are sworn statements. They can be called into evidence. There is no reason for a defendant to testify as to what he/she "heard" at the deposition.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 8, 2013, 08:15 PM
    The only question I would have is what defendant would testify about. The testimony taken at the deposition would have been recorded, and thus defendant would not need to testify about what was said at the deposition. Was there something said or done "off record" that is relevant?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I let the defendant answer complaint before I request production of documents? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in Oregon... I have file a complaint for damages alleging wrongful foreclosure. Should I let the defendant answer my complaint before I request production of documents and/or request for admissions? Are there advantages to waiting for an answer? Are there advantages to requesting...

In a pre-answer motion am I the defendant or the plaintiff? [ 1 Answers ]

OK, I am needing to give a pre-answer motion to dismiss when I am the defendant in an upcoming case. I finally got the paperwork to crate a 'motion' but it has blanks where I fill in the names of plaintiff and defendant. In the actual CASE I am answering to, I am the defendant and the other guy is...

Can I send the plaintiffs a letter [ 2 Answers ]

I was served the civil citation for credit card debt of 1737.99 now I am reaching the 10 days will it be too late to send a letter explaining unable to pay at this time was laid off and daughter passed away. Will that be acceptable or will they put a warrant out for my arrest.

Plaintiffs interrogatories to defendant [ 3 Answers ]

I have received a plaintiffs interrogatories to defendant and I have no idea what to do with it. This lawyer is trying to say that I owe a credit card debt that his company purchased from the original creditor. This is from 1999 and I honestly do not recall it. What should I do? Any suggestions on...

Should I call plaintiffs lawer? [ 1 Answers ]

Should I call plaintiffs lawer after filing answer to request a settlement?

View more questions Search