Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ATJackson65 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2013, 09:54 AM
    How do I change jurisdiction from one court to another court in Maryland?
    Neither parent lives in the city where the order was originally made, so how do I go about changing the jurisdiction?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2013, 10:17 AM
    Different Counties?

Apr 3, 2013, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Different Counties?
    Well, from Baltimore City to Howard County.

Apr 3, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ATJackson65 View Post
    Well, from Baltimore City to Howard County.
    Neither of us live in Baltimore City where the order was first made.
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2013, 10:39 AM
    Is Baltimore City a County?

I'm asking if two different County Courts would be involved - where the matter was heard and where you want it to be heard.

Apr 3, 2013, 10:42 AM
    Is Baltimore City a County?

I'm asking if two different County Courts would be involved - where the matter was heard and where you want it to be heard.
    No. I live in Howard County and the mother lives in Carroll County now and the order was put into affect in Baltimore City. I want it changed to Howard County where I am living.
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2013, 11:00 AM
    You'd file a Motion with the current Court, listing the reasons jursdiction should be changed. Your "ex" would have the opportunity to respond - she might want it moved to "her" County, not moved at all, something else.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2013, 11:08 AM
    If it pertains to child custody or support, if you move it, you will likely have to move it to the county where the child primarily resides.

Apr 3, 2013, 11:10 AM
    You'd file a Motion with the current Court, listing the reasons why jursdiction should be changed. Your "ex" would have the opportunity to respond - she might want it moved to "her" County, not moved at all, something else.
    Thank you. Since she has an opportunity to request a change I would probably better off leaving it where it is. Again Thank you for your responses.

Apr 3, 2013, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    If it pertains to child custody or support, if you move it, you will likely have to move it to the county where the child primarily resides.
    What would happen if I want to modify a case already in effect? Would I still need to move it to where she primarily lives?
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2013, 11:43 AM
    Where the child might live in the future is not a factor. You can keep the case where it is, or file where the child's residency is established. If you are successful in changing the arrangements so you get custody, then if there's a future issue to bring to court down the line, you could change the venue to your county court at that time.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 3, 2013, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ATJackson65 View Post
    What would happen if I want to modify a case already in effect? Would I still need to move it to where she primarily lives?
    No, you wouldn't need to move it until the judge currently assigned to the case orders that it be transferred for some reason. You haven't said what it is you want to change, but I don't see any real reason that it should be moved.
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2013, 12:45 PM
    True - you don't have to move it at all. Sometimes parents will move these matters for convenience, but it's easier to leave it where it is in most cases. There are times a judge will determine they don't have jurisdiction and will insist a case is moved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change court jurisdiction from California to Arizona [ 6 Answers ]

I was divorced in California, and lived in Arizona at the time and still live in Arizona. There are no kids or property involved. My ex no longer lives in California and I want to move the jurisdiction to Arizona because the spousal support laws are more in my favor. Is that possible, if so how do...

Change court Jurisdiction [ 15 Answers ]

My son and I live in VA(have for 2 years). I have physical custody of him. The original order was in CA and I would like to know what form I need to have CA release jurisdiction. I would like to change it to his state of residence- VA. Thanks

Changing court jurisdiction [ 6 Answers ]

I lived in Southern California where I have been raising my daughter since she was 18 months old and she is now 7 years old. My daughter and I moved to San Francisco about 6 months ago. She is enrolled in school and we are permanent residents here in San Francisco. I just had court with the...

Change court jurisdiction [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-wife and kids live in Minnesota. I live in Texas. We were divorced in Collin County Texas and I now live in Bowie County Texas. What do I need to do to change court jurisdiction to the County I reside in?

Change court jurisdiction [ 1 Answers ]

OK guys you were all really helpful on my last topic so I'm back. How do I go about changing my court jurisdiction from Arizona to California. It is a custody child visitation case and the child resides with me in California for the past two years. Our case is not active right now but I'm going to...

View more questions Search