Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2013, 06:01 AM
    Belief?
    What is it that people believe? So often questions show that people have no concept of forgiveness and the unforgivable sin, Jesus died so that we have perfect access to grace and forgiveness of our shortcomings, our sins, all we need to do is embrace Jesus and admit our failures and yet people don't get this. Why?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2013, 06:05 AM
    It is too simple, religions want to add rules, or guidelines and make it harder for people to accept
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2013, 06:21 AM
    Why do you care what others believe or don't believe? Can't it be a personal issue for individual people?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 3, 2013, 06:58 AM
    Jesus' two great commandments = love God and love each other. Then, like Chuck said, Christian churches build fences around that to make God small (lots of rules and regs) and make it hard for people to embrace Him.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2013, 02:16 PM
    Fact is-- too many times forgiving someone just puts one in a position to do more forgiving. You are being an option in someone else's life while they expect to be a priority in your life.
    (The actual quote has been used by several members on this site in various forms).
    Will non-forgivers be themselves forgiven on judgment day if they have not been saved? Many religious folks would say NO.
    Can one be admitted to heaven if not baptized or if not baptized in a certain way? Again, many say NO.
    Every religion has its list of unforgivable sins, maybe plain ordinary folk do too. Except for the certain sins (each religion has their own list) can't we just be forgiven at the last minute anyhow?
    Should the spouses who were battered have just forgiven and not posted? The guy whose wife comes home in the wee hours with no explanation? And why should we (NK said it best above) think that all those posting questions share our Christian beliefs anyhow?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2013, 03:55 PM
    It is not easy to forgive but it becomes easier over time, the point is by not forgiving the only person we are hurting is ourselves
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2013, 11:37 AM
    NK,

Why do people care about beliefs? That is very east to answer it is because people with faith in the Lord Jesus Christ believe in eternity. We believe that everyone will spend it somewhere and Christians don't want anyone to spend it apart from God. The kindest and most loving thing a person can and will ever do for you is give you the gospel.

I have met many people in my life that I didn't care for. However, I have never met a single person yet that I wanted to end up in hell and living apart from God forever. That is why I care what a person believes.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2013, 11:45 AM
    Why do people care about beliefs?
    That's not what I said though. I said "Why do you care what others believe or don't believe?".
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2013, 11:48 AM
    NK,

I may have worded your question incorrectly but I answered it correctly did I not?
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2013, 12:01 PM
    Not really. You said at the end "That is why I care what a person believes" but you really don't explain why what someone else believes matters to you. If you don't believe that they go to hell if they don't share your belief then what is it? Is it simply because they aren't doing the same thing as you?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 12:05 PM
    The Christian mandate is to evangelize -- Matthew 28:19 (KJV): "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:"
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2013, 12:10 PM
    Ah, I see. Imagine if every religion compelled its adherents to do that.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2013, 12:10 PM
    NK,

No. Actually NK on most subjects I like people who have a different opinion on things because the world would be boring otherwise. So NO, the reason I care isn't because I want everyone to believe just like me. The reason I care is because I don't want Anyone to die in their sins and end up in eternity lost and without God. AND I believe to my core that if a person does not accept Jesus Christ as their savior they will be lost for all eternity. As silly as that may sound to you... I believe it. Therefore I can't help but care what a person believes in regards to this. But I also believe everyone has the right to accept this or reject the gospel AND I respect their choice.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Ah, I see. Imagine if every religion compelled its adherents to do that.
    It certainly would turn us all into great salesmen!
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2013, 12:12 PM
    NK,

If you saw someone headed towards a cliff and was about to fall off wouldn't you want to warn them? Just asking
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2013, 12:12 PM
    It certainly would turn us all into great salesmen!
    It would be one of the circles of hell (if such a place existed). :-)
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2013, 12:13 PM
    If you saw someone headed towards a cliff and was about to fall off wouldn't you want to warn them? Just asking
    Yes. How does that apply to someone's beliefs in a god?
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2013, 12:14 PM
    I don't want Anyone to die in their sins and end up in eternity lost
    When people die they just die and return to dust. A "sin" is a made-up construct, it can't even be defined.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    So NO, the reason I care isn't because I want everyone to believe just like me.
    You said that and then went on to say exactly the opposite -- you really do want everyone to believe like you do so they won't go to hell.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 25, 2013, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    When people die they just die and return to dust.
    How do you know that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changes in Muslim belief [ 13 Answers ]

The soul of Islam sprang from solitary Christian hermits, scattered here and there throughout the desert, consecrating their lives to God, and fleeing from the wrath to come. Even in pre-Islamic Arabic poetry we see how strong was the impression made on the Arab mind by the gaunt, weird men with...

The power of belief. [ 10 Answers ]

A Man eats an apple and realizes how delicious it was. Another man sees this and had observed him eat the apple. The man who ate the apple speaks to some other men about how delicious the apple was and tells them there are more. The man who saw him eat the apple then collects all the apples from...

Why is there belief in purgatory? [ 142 Answers ]

Christ died for our sins -- ALL of our sins past, present, and future here on earth. Why then do Catholic Christians believe a place like purgatory is necessary?

My christian belief [ 516 Answers ]

In anybodys eyes do you think its right to be gay? Posted this for the "pet expert" but anybody can answer

Catholic Belief [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this site, but I have had something bothering me, and I am trying to find some answers... We had a Chathlic Gentlemen to visit us the other day, and my niece goes with him and he called her his... he said that is what the Catholics believed and his children are Bastards......

View more questions Search