Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2013, 08:53 AM
    Filing Taxes late
    I am an Intl student on F-1 who worked on campus in 2009. I thought since my income was under tax treaty exemption- I didn't have to file taxes. I was wrong.

What forms do I fill now that I am filing late?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2013, 09:53 AM
    You will just have to file a late payment form with your form and pay a penalty. Given how much time has passed, your international status, student status and the fact that there have been some significant tax changes since this return was due, you should go see a tax preparer. I feel comfortable recommending H&R Block for this. They will be able to make sure this is done properly for you and you can generally get in the same day you call.

I would not attempt to resolve this yourself because there are too many variables and you risk over paying or missing some credit or benefit that's owed you. If something is filed late, and then you also make a mistake, it can flag your return for audit which is a huge hassle - so yeah, go to a tax preparer and let them help you do this properly.
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2013, 10:42 AM
    Since I owe no taxes, I don't why know why there would be a penalty?

As far as I know H&R Block etc have no clue about F1 stuff. They file mainly for residents and will more likely than not screw this up.

I was hoping AtlantaTaxExpert can chime in
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2013, 04:30 PM
    If you owe no tax, there will be no penalty. Sorry for the late answer; been busy.

Email me at the email address in my profile with your W-2 and details and I will evaluate and comment in detail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing ny STATE taxes late [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently notified by ny state that I did not file tax returns from 2005 to present. I now have filed. Will there be crimial charges

Filing late taxes (2007) In the State of Oregon [ 1 Answers ]

My Question: I need to file my taxes for 2007. Can I do that electronically? Is there a special form that I need to use because it's late? I'm trying to work out payment arrangements with the state for monies owed in 2008. However, because I have not filed 2007 they will only make arrangements for...

Filing Late --Paying taxes AND getting refunds [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been nuts--we're now filing taxes after three years of not filing. We have calculated that we owe for 2005, have a refund coming for 2006, and owe for 2007. Questions: 1. Do we have to pay 2005 before the refund for 2006 comes? In other words, can we just file...

Late Filing of 2006 Taxes-What do I do? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine has not filed his 2006 taxes and I would like to help him do that. I have a copy of the TurboTax 2006 program. Do I just go in and complete it on there and turn it in with his 2007 tax forms? Or is there something special he has to do through the IRS?

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search