Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talhasaleem1990 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2013, 07:17 AM
    Tax Treaty treatment
    Hi,
    I am filing my 2009 taxes late. My income was below the exemption threshold and
    I thought I did not have to file taxes(I was wrong).

After filing for 2012 taxes, I realized my mistake and now wanted to file 2009 forms. What I was wondering is what should I write in "c) Number of months claimed in prior tax years" in the Tax Treaty Income exemption heading?
    I claimed 12 months in 2012 but I am not sure how 2012 can be considered prior tax year for 2009 tax form)

What should I do?Should I write 12 (0 would be fraudulent-wont it?) to take 2012 taxes into account or should I write 0(since before 2009 I didn't claim anything)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2013, 03:05 PM
    Put the number of months you were in country prior to the tax year in question, whether you filed or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 tax treaty US germany: what if they have paid me the tax exempt but I stayed >2yr [ 44 Answers ]

I am a postdoctoral research fellow at Harvard. I am on a J1 visa and I entered the US a little more than 2 years ago. Filing my taxes for 2007, I thought I wouldn't stay longer than 2 years therefore I claimed the tax exempt and the state returned all federal taxes to me that I had paid up until...

Individual Switches from F1 to H1B Status (China Treaty and Tax Treatment) [ 0 Answers ]

I volunteer as part of a low income tax clinic at my school, and I'm doing research for an international tax issue. If an individual was on an F-1 Visa for the first portion of the year, and had Code 19 Income. The individual is from China. During the year, they switched to H-1B status. They...

Russian F-1 Student. Federal Tax Exemption based on the US-Russia Tax Treaty? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a Russian graduate student who was in US on an F-1 visa since 2005. In 2005 I had a fellowship, later in 2006 I became a Graduate Student Researcher (research assistant). That paid my tuition and a monthly stipend. SHORT VERSION: For years 2006, 2007 I claimed full refund of...

How to get social securtiy tax and medicare tax back (J-1, sign tax treaty)? [ 1 Answers ]

I hold J-1 visa and am a researcher from China, and sign the tax treaty form. I can file tax forms to get federal and state fax back. But there are social securtiy tax withheld and medicare tax withheld over 1000 USD in total. Do I need to pay that or can I get them back and how? Thank you so...

Tax for F-1 visa on OPT with tax treaty, resident alien for tax purpose [ 2 Answers ]

HI--I have multiple "identities" with regard to tax: 1. I'm an F-1 visa holder 2. I'm on OPT from Sept.2007-Aug.2008 3. I have benefits of tax treaty, under which I can be exempted from federal taxes up to $5000 a year for wages, and unlimited amount for fellowship 4. I'm a resident alien for...

View more questions Search