Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockie440 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2013, 11:05 AM
    Privacy act violations
    My son's I phone was confiscated at his Private Christian school and the acting Head master went through his phone. This seems to have violated is right to privacy act. They have a policy to take away a students phone but no written policy to go through the phone messages.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2013, 11:51 AM
    Sorry... children are not adults and do not have the same right to privacy on school property... and in fact really have very little. It doesn't have to be in writing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2013, 03:07 PM
    What "right to privacy" act? There is no such general law. Also most privacy laws that do exist inhibit a government's (federal, state, local) actions. Your son goes to a private school. Generally such school's have a lot of leeway and you, as his parent need to read the agreement you signed when you enrolled him. It probably gives them carte blanche when it comes to discipline.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Apr 1, 2013, 05:12 PM
    We confiscate phones, and often check to see if any texts were made during class due to student's using the rest room to cheat on tests. Parents come to school to pick up the phones and are notified at that time why the phone was confiscated. Did your son use the phone without permission? Did the phone ring during class? We allow cell phones as long as they are stowed away in a backpack and off. Once they come into view, they are confiscated, period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Privacy act violations [ 4 Answers ]

A car dealership faxed over to my place of employment a fax that said my down payment check bounced. I work at a school so this fax machine is used publicly. Is this a privacy act violation? The check did not bounce. I had put a "stop payment" on the check so the inforamtion in the fax was not only...

Privacy act violations? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in an HOA community and is serviced by a local management company. Recently we have had some issues with two home owners that were denied requests to changes property. A few days ago I was approached by two home owners and received an email from another homeowner regarding emails that...

Privacy act violations? [ 4 Answers ]

I applied for a job with the federal government. I was called by a close friend to say I got the job. I also received another email from another friend, a contractor who said welcome in into the job. Once this info was realsed by the selection official someone who knew me made a call and advised...

Violation of Privacy Act? My privacy rights violated? [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord in retaliation for me serving him with a 60 day notice to move because he failed to fix problems told a creditor who was only calling to verify my resident that the vendor denied me the credit I needed because of that statement. Were my rights violated? Terry

Privacy act violations at an auto dealership [ 1 Answers ]

If an Auto dealership is throwing peoples dates of birth, social security numbers and names in open garbage are they responsible for privacy act violations by not shredding or protecting this personal information?

View more questions Search