Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ravinderjit sin Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2013, 11:08 PM
    How to start a online tiffin business
    I want to start an online tiffin business with supplying home food. But do not know any thing about how to start?and what initial cost I have to bear for this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2013, 11:19 PM
    Where you are at, will decide various license requirements, storage and zoning of your business.
    How do you plan to advertise? Where do you plan on buying supplies?

Apr 1, 2013, 12:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    where you are at, will decide various license requirements, storage and zoning of your business.
    How do you plan to advertise? where do you plan on buying supplies?
    Sir,
    I am living in gurgaon ( India) and wants to know every step for this business.
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Apr 1, 2013, 12:20 AM
    Ravinder, instead of website you should start on Facebook with name of you company and its all other details such as phone number to make orders, menu, cost per meal and service availabilities in the area such as where are you supplying, near only gurgaon or delhi and near by. Also put advertisement on FB pages which are related to food and pages related to gurgaon and near by region. Good luck.

Apr 1, 2013, 12:51 AM
    Thanks SMKanand ji,
    Your suggesion is very good but still I am not concluded that how I start from begning and what cost I have to bear for this to start new tifin business?
    Please. Guggest!

Apr 1, 2013, 01:16 AM
    I though you need marketing idea, I guess you need basic info. So first of all start with menu. Make a simple and easy menu which people prefer. For e.g. dal, roti, chawal, sabji and if salad or achar. You should keep sabji seasonal, instead of fix sabji. You can also provide sweet once in a week. I think cost is depend on many things apart from food because you have supply food to people and that needs transportation. So for example, one tiffin contains 2 rotis, 1 cotori dal, same amount of rice and achar or salad, you need to keep the price reasonable. 1500-200rs for month. If a thali cost minimum 50rs in hotel, according to that keep the price. Initial investment could be minimum 10000rs. I would suggest to buy rice, aata and oil in large stock. A good quality rice will cost you 25kg for 2000 - 3000rs. 10-20 kg aata will cost you about 500rs. Oil depends on what you choose but approx. it will cost you 700-1000rs for 10kg. Sabji's rate are variyng but you can buy onions and potatoes in stock. And gas will cost you 1000 minimum.

Apr 1, 2013, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smkanand View Post
    I though you need marketing idea, I guess you need basic info. so first of all start with menu. make a simple and easy menu which people prefer. for e.g. dal, roti, chawal, sabji and if salad or achar. you should keep sabji seasonal, instead of fix sabji. you can also provide sweet once in a week. I think cost is depend on many things apart from food because you have supply food to people and that needs transportation. so for example, one tiffin contains 2 rotis, 1 cotori dal, same amount of rice and achar or salad, you need to keep the price reasonable. 1500-200rs for month. if a thali cost minimum 50rs in hotel, according to that keep the price. initial investment could be minimum 10000rs. I would suggest to buy rice, aata and oil in large stock. a good quality rice will cost you 25kg for 2000 - 3000rs. 10-20 kg aata will cost you about 500rs. oil depends on what you choose but approx. it will cost you 700-1000rs for 10kg. sabji's rate are variyng but you can buy onions and potatos in stock. and gas will cost you 1000 minimum.
    Sir I think I Should also have to purchase utensils and other equipments for preparation of food. Means refrigrator oven gas stove tifin boxes and to hire cook
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 1, 2013, 08:42 AM
    Do you know how to cook this food? What would your role be in the business if you cannot cook?

Apr 1, 2013, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ravinderjit sin View Post
    sir I think I Should also have to purchase utensils and other equipments for preparation of food. means refrigrator oven gas stove tifin boxes and to hire cook
    Yes, utensils and cook but initially you will not get 100 orders per day so you have to start on small scale. With utensils, you can buy them and a big refrigerator will do. For the beginning you can keep one or two person for cooking and you can be prepare things. One person will be needed for service. Cooking should be started in early morning 4am or 5am .

Apr 2, 2013, 03:19 AM
    Thanks for your concern . If I do nt know how to cook so what I have good taste for food andknowledge and management knowledge.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2013, 07:22 AM
    Just because you love to eat is not a good reason to open a tiffin business. You have no plan, no equipment, no food, no customers. Do you have family support? How old are you? What is your experience with a career or past jobs? Do you have a business degree?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 2, 2013, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ravinderjit sin View Post
    thanks for your concern . If I do nt know how to cook so what i have good taste for food andknowledge and managment knowledge.
    Desire alone is not enough to get a business going and be successful. You don't have the first clue on how to start or run this business or even cook the food but you think that since you have good taste that will be enough.

There is a lot of research that needs to be done and asking random people on an internet Q&A site to tell you how to start a business is not true research. You are doomed to failure if you don't put real effort into learning about this and having a plan before you start up.

Marketing this stuff online and actually getting customers is going to be one of your biggest problems. Not knowing how to cook and having to hire people that do is going to be another big problem. Getting a supplier for disposables, food, and equipment will be another problem. You need to do some serious reading and talk to other people that are already doing this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiffin business [ 3 Answers ]

I want to start my tiffin service in gurgaon.can any one tell me what are the challenges in this market.

How to start a tiffin business [ 4 Answers ]

What are the merits and demerits that I may face in starting a tiffin business... for about 200 peoples... and what can be the tricks for cutting the transporting cost...

How should I start online business [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a Lecturer in computer science in Rajasthan.I m MCA.I want to online business. Help me but I don't have any kind of money to invest.

Where to start my online business [ 2 Answers ]

I'v been trying to make money online selling home and garden merchandise I'v tried eBay and Amazon as well as a few other web sight and not done well at all Does any one know where I might find a good place to start my buisiness whether it be an auction site or set up my own store

View more questions Search