Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pay day Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2013, 07:39 PM
    Minors serving alcohol at a private party
    In a private home, an adult party (40 to 60 year olds) asking 16 year olds to mix alcoholic beverages and pour and serve wine and beer. Is this against the law in California?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2013, 11:48 PM
    A minor is allowed to be given alcohol by their own parents, it is in poor taste and llegal to have them be bartenders at a party
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 1, 2013, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    a minor is allowed to be given alcohol by their own parents, it is in poor taste and llegal to have them be bartenders at a party
    Fr_Chuck, I believe you may be mistaken when you write that one may give alcohol to one's children:

California Business and Professional Code Section "25658. (a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (c), every
    person who
    sells, furnishes, gives, or causes to be sold, furnished,
    or given away any alcoholic beverage to any person under 21 years of
    age is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    (b) Except as provided in Section 25667, any person under 21 years
    of age who purchases any alcoholic beverage, or any person under 21
    years of age who consumes any alcoholic beverage in any on-sale
    premises, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    (c) Any person who violates subdivision (a) by purchasing any
    alcoholic beverage for, or furnishing, giving, or giving away any
    alcoholic beverage to, a person under 21 years of age, and the person
    under 21 years of age thereafter consumes the alcohol and thereby
    proximately causes great bodily injury or death to himself, herself,
    or any other person, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    ..." CA Codes (bpc:25657-25667)

I don't see a parent-child exception.

The reason it may not be illegal to allow minors to serve alcohol in the situation posed by the OP is that it's not a regulated establishment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the laws on serving alcohol? [ 7 Answers ]

I work in a Care Home. We have a bistro and bar but do not charge for anything so its free. So we do not need a license, what age can someone serve behind this bar?

Is it legal to serve alcohol to minors (16 year olds) at a house party? [ 4 Answers ]

My sister is allowing my niece to have a party, with alcohol, on her 16th birthday. This, to me is not morally irresposible. She insists that they are going to do it anyway so they may as well be supervised. What is her legal responsibility if any?

Can I serve Alcohol Beverages at a Private Party [ 4 Answers ]

I am thinking of having a private party in which I would like to serve Alcohol beverages. Can anyone tell me how I can do so without a liquor license? It will not be a cash bar, however, there will be a bar and a charge at the door to enter.

Nudity and Alcohol at a Private Party [ 11 Answers ]

I live in NY State and am trying to start a local nudist group on Long Island. I would like to meet at a bar because the alcohol is already there. These are not sex parties but social nudist parties However, I believe that in NY there is a law that nudity cannot exist where alcohol is served. ...

Laws on serving alcohol [ 3 Answers ]

I am a student currently studying at Birmingham City University. As part of my business cource I am investigating the possability of starting up and running a public house that had types of vending machines instead of bar staff that would serve beers and wines etc. to customers. It is thought...

View more questions Search